Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
Contact: J.B. Bird
About Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
The Jackson School of Geosciences at The University of Texas at Austin is among the most established and well regarded geoscience programs in the world, uniting the University’s Department of Geological Sciences, one of the country’s oldest geoscience departments in the country, with two world-renowned research units, the Institute for Geophysics and the Bureau of Economic Geology. The school is home to one of the world’s largest academic geoscience community with 5,700 alumni, 130 research scientists and faculty members, and one of the largest combined graduate and undergraduate enrollments (647) of any major earth science program. The Jackson School is both old and new. It traces its origins to a Department of Geology founded in 1888 but became a separate unit at the level of a college only on September 1, 2005. The school’s formation resulted from one of the most generous gifts in the history of higher education when the late John A. and Katherine G. Jackson bequeathed endowments and assets to the university presently valued at over $300 million.