Research Hydrologist Position
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and currently models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative and talented minds in the industry.
The main responsibility of the position will be to build upon on the success of our Inland Flood Models for Great Britain, Germany, United States and a few other countries in Europe as we expand to Japan, Canada and other countries. You will work with hydrologists and hydraulic engineers as well as with meteorologists, climate scientists, engineers, software professionals, statisticians, and actuaries to incorporate the latest flood modeling technologies into cutting-edge flood risk assessment software. Your contributions will help provide our clients in the insurance industry with tools and data upon which they make informed decisions about flood risk and flood insurance products.
Main responsibilities, but not limited to:
• Developing and enhancing flood hazard models and the relevant source codes.
• Formulating and implementing hydrologic models in deterministic and probabilistic frameworks.
• Simulating hydrologic responses over a wide range of spatial scales.
• Formulating and implementing a variety of hydrological analytical procedures pertaining to flood frequency analysis, hydrologic modeling
. • Collecting, managing, and analyzing various types of hydro-meteorological data for efficient integration of high quality data into the modeling process.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Expertise in catchment hydrology and stochastic hydrology.
• Good basic knowledge of probability theory and statistics.
• Ability to gather, understand, and critically analyze relevant hydrological and geophysical data from a variety of sources.
• Experience in flood modeling for the specifics of insurance/reinsurance industry would be a significant advantage.
• Solid technical programming skills gained through practical experience (e.g., C/C++, FORTRAN, MATLAB, R, Python, etc.).
• Experience in GIS applications (e.g., ArcMap).
• Database and SQL experience is a significant plus.
• Proficiency with Windows and Linux operating systems, and other standard applications.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks.
• Highly motivated and self-directed in advancing complex projects.
• Advanced degree in Hydrology or related field with associated professional experience