Post Doc - Regional and Global Climate Modeling
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Environmental & Climate Sciences Department at BNL seeks a postdoctoral research associate. The research will focus on development, validation and improvement of regional and global climate models, as well as the application to climate simulations. The activities will include cloud and convective process modeling at local and regional scales, participation in the development and validation of the Department of Energy Accelerate Climate Modeling for Energy (ACME) model, and integration of regional and global climate model frameworks for the simulations of weather and climate extremes. Successful candidates will be expected to publish and present results at national and international venues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in the continuing development of an integrated WRF-CAM framework;
• Analysis of climate model response in high-dimensional parameter space;
• Extreme value modeling using R statistics;
• High-resolution cloud process modeling to aid in climate model validation.
Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The initial appointment will be one year, with renewal contingent upon availability of funds and satisfactory performance. Research will be under the direction of Dr. Wuyin Lin.
The successful candidate will join the Climate and Process Modeling Group in the Environmental & Climate Sciences Department of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/CPM/). The Climate and Process Modeling group aims to address the multi-scale system by using multi-scale process modeling and observational analyses to understand the processes essential to clouds, precipitation, land-atmosphere interactions, and urban impacts; by developing parameterizations of these processes for large scale models; and by evaluating the impacts of these processes with regional and global climate models.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science or closely related fields (if not already graduated, then must be expected by May 2017).
- Background in climate model development, cloud and climate modeling.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with atmospheric modeling at LES, cloud-resolving and global scales.
- Familiarity working with Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model and Community Atmosphere Model (CAM).
- Knowledge of cloud and convective parameterizations used in atmospheric models.
- Experience with uncertainty quantification in high dimensional parameter space.
- Strong programming background, such as familiarity with data analysis software (e.g., Python, perl, ncl, IDL, R, etc.), FORTRAN, C++ and handling of large datasets.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
BNL Policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits