Postdoctoral Researcher - Soil Carbon Cycling
SUMMARY: We seek a post-doctoral researcher to work on an exciting new project with the primary objective of understanding and predicting the spatial and temporal response of soil carbon to land use change under a changing climate by greatly improving the availability of soil data related to carbon cycling. The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientists and collaborators (USDA National Cooperative Soil Survey, CSIRO Australia and the International Soil Carbon Network). This position will develop new capabilities to predict numerous soil properties from infrared spectroscopy, develop moderately high resolution soil property maps, and use these maps to run a spatially explicit biogeochemical model under different future land use and climate scenarios.
- Harmonize multiple soil spectral libraries and databases
- Develop new open-source predictive models from soil spectral data for numerous soil properties
- Develop maps of various soil properties using machine learning algorithms
- Run a spatially-explicit soil biogeochemical model under different land use and climate scenarios
- Work in a highly collaborative environment to analyze, synthesize, and present results.
Qualifications and Experience: Ph.D. degree in Soil Science, Earth System Science, Geography, or a related discipline, with demonstrated strong data analysis skills in at least one of the three key work areas for this project: Chemometric prediction of soil properties from infrared spectroscopy; Digital soil mapping; or Biogeochemical modeling.
- Knowledge and interest in soil carbon cycling and global change research.
- Ability to develop R code and learn new skills as needed.
- Experience with various soil laboratory analyses.
- Experience using the CENTURY model.
- Ability to assess and implement appropriate computation needs.
- Evidence of or potential for scholarly excellence through publications and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Desired Start Date: May 2017
Application Deadline: April 14th, or until filled
Salary Range: $50,000 to $55,000, with full benefit package, exempt position.
Appointment: Three-year appointment.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send cover letter referencing “Postdoctoral Researcher job # JSPD17”, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type “JSPD17” in the subject line.
For more information, please contact Jonathan Sanderman, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Woods Hole Research Center (whrc.org), located in the heart of a vibrant scientific community, is an independent research institute where scientists investigate the causes and effects of climate change to identify and implement opportunities for conservation, restoration and economic development around the world. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Postdoctoral Researcher - Soil Carbon Cycling
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly