FY2018 Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) Postdoctoral Fellow Programme
JAMSTEC is recruiting a total of 4 - 5 postdoctoral fellow positions.
JAMSTEC wants to help talented young researchers who have completed promising Ph.D. theses to develop their scientific excellence. For this purpose, JAMSTEC has established an international postdoctoral fellowship programme. It is intended that research grants will be provided to successful applicants which will facilitate smooth start-up of his/her research in JAMSTEC (¥1,000,000 for the first fiscal year and ¥500,000 for each of the second and third years). The successful applicant will also have access to the necessary facilities and equipment at JAMSTEC during the contract period.
Successful applicants to this programme are expected to conduct scientific work independently on research topics of their own proposing or to proceed with research at JAMSTEC. The successful applicant will also have access to the necessary facilities and equipment at JAMSTEC during the contract period.
A mentor will be designated to each JAMSTEC Postdoctoral Fellow, who will facilitate his/her research activities and evaluate research progress each year.
During the fellowship period, the administration section of JAMSTEC will provide support regarding personal issues (e.g., preparing immigration documents, finding an apartment, etc.).
Relevant Research Fields
Any natural science or engineering field.
(We welcome applicants without experience or background in Oceanography or Earth Sciences.)
Applicants are required to have been awarded or expect to have obtained a Ph.D. in a related field by the date of employment. In addition, no more than five years may have passed between the last day of the fiscal year in which the applicants obtained a Ph.D. and the date of employment. (Applicants who earned a Ph.D. after April, 2012 will be eligible.)
*Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
Any of the following JAMSTEC research sites:
Yokohama Institute of Earth Science,
Kochi Core Research Institute, or
Mutsu Research Institute
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions: 4-5 JAMSTEC Postdoctoral Fellow positions
(2) Type of contract: Fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours: Discretionary labor system (4) Contract Period: Period of employment is from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019. One contract period is maximum one fiscal year. The contract period can be renewed but the total contract period is a maximum three fiscal years (until March 31,2021).*Working conditions will meet the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
*In accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC, on reaching the age of 65 years during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
*This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
*There is no raise, bonus, or retirement allowance.
Terms of Employment
(1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the bylaws of JAMSTEC.
(2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance, labor insurance and health insurance in the proportions specified by current statute.
(4) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) A housing lease service is not available.
(6) Holidays and vacations: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year's holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leave of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided.
(1) Required documents
*Documents a) to f) should be submitted in English.
a) A CV (1 copy). A valid email and home address must be provided.
*Please indicate your research field from among the following (select all that apply):
I) Solid Earth and Geological Sciences
II) Global Environmental Science
III) Biological Sciences
IV) Computer Science or Engineering,
*Please include contact information for two references. These persons should be someone other than the person mentioned in h) below and should not be employees or Visiting Scientists of JAMSTEC.
b) A summary of your PhD Thesis (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page).
c) A summary of your research (1 copy, A4 size, 1 page).
d) Your research plan at JAMSTEC (1 copy, A4 size, up to 6 pages; you may use diagrams if necessary).
e) Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles (1 copy).
*Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications (1 copy).
f) A list of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant (1 copy).
*If you have not been awarded any, include "none" in the list.
g) Two (or fewer) representative publications (1 copy).
h) A letter of recommendation from a senior research scientist. The person providing the recommendation should send the letter directly to JAMSTEC by POST. The applicant's name should be written on the envelope. Letter of recommendation written by a JAMSTEC employee or JAMSTEC Visiting Scientist will not be accepted.
The required documents must be sent by POST and should reach JAMSTEC on or before the closing date. Documents in electronic format will NOT be accepted.
*Please write "PERSONNEL, FY2018 JAMSTEC Postdoctoral Fellow" (in red) on the front of the envelope. Registered mail is recommended so that you may confirm receipt of your application (no acknowledgment will be provided).
(3) Interview and appointment
Applicants will be selected based on submitted application materials, followed by an interview. Interviews will be conducted in English in early September, 2017. The successful applicants are expected to join us on April 1, 2018.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
May 23, 2017 (The application documents must arrive at JAMSTEC by this date.)
*If there are fewer applications than expected, the closing date may be extended.
Contact Information (application documents needs to be sent to this address)
Human Resources Division II, Human Resources Department, JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
TEL: +81-46-867-9598 FAX: +81-46-867-9095
*Please replace [at] with @ when addressing e-mails.
*For inquiries by e-mail, please include "Recruitment for FY2018 JAMSTEC Postdoctoral Fellow" in the title.)
(1) Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant.
(2) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(3) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(4) Withdrawal of the application must be done by written notice.
(5) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(6) For non-Japanese speakers, interviews and daily work will be conducted in English.
The Japanese government encourages social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC’s principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female researchers to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.
Please visit our website for more details;
More searches like this
- Atmospheric Sciences Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $30,000 - $49,999
- Biogeosciences Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $30,000 - $49,999
- Cryosphere Sciences Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $30,000 - $49,999
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $30,000 - $49,999
- Geochemistry Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $30,000 - $49,999