Postdoctoral Fellow - Applied Geophysics (Energy Geosciences)
Postdoctoral Fellow - Applied Geophysics (Energy Geosciences) - 83603
Organization: GO-Energy Geosciences
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Geosciences Division (https://eesa.lbl.gov/our-divisions/energy-geosciences/) an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow Applied Geophysics. As a Postdoctoral Applied Geophysics researcher you will focus on creative approaches for utilizing distributed acoustic sensing (DAS) to infer subsurface properties relevant to hydrological and geotechnical monitoring. Your work duties will include planning, execution, and analysis of large-scale passive and active DAS studies utilizing state-of-the-art acquisition systems and processing approaches. This position will provide an opportunity to process unique massive ambient noise datasets acquired on a both built-for-purpose as well as existing networks. Datasets will be inverted and interpreted to assist in plot-to-basin scale monitoring goals related to water, energy, and infrastructure challenges.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct original and independent research under broad supervision and guidance.
• Develop processing approaches for analyzing large ambient noise datasets acquired using DAS.
• Plan and execute large-scale seismic acquisition campaigns.
• Process and invert acquired datasets using state-of-the-art algorithms.
• Integrate acquired seismic data with basin-scale hydrological datasets for interpretation.
• Work as a member of a large multidisciplinary research team.
• Present and publish results.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Acquire and process near-surface active source seismic data sets for environmental characterization studies.
What is Required:
• Recent Ph.D in geophysics, civil engineering, or a related geoscience field.
• Experience with processing approaches for ambient seismic noise analysis.
• Experience in field seismic acquisition.
• One or more of the following:
• Experience with computational seismology utilizing large (> 1 TB) observational datasets.
• Experience with distributed acoustic sensing and fiber optic measurement methods.
• Experience with seismic approaches to hydrogeophysical characterization.
• Experience with full waveform inversion approaches.
• Experience developing parallel implementations of seismic analysis algorithms.
• Experience with seismic signal processing.
• Knowledge of quantitative rock physics relevant to hydrogeophysical monitoring.
• Ability to effectively present and publish in a scientific venue, including sufficient language skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic team environment and effectively collaborate with colleagues.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Ability to develop proposals.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on May 14, 2017.
• This is a full time 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=98575 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".