Postdoctoral Fellow, Geothermal Modeling
The Desert Research Institute is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow in Geothermal Modeling supported by the Nell J. Redfield Foundation. This position is located in DRI’s Northern Nevada Science Center in Reno, NV. The Redfield Foundation Fellowship is awarded on a competitive basis to applicants with outstanding research and leadership potential in a broad range of topical areas related to renewable energy.
This position will focus on the area of geothermal energy including but not limited to:
• Enhanced geothermal systems
• Modeling of fracture propagation and interaction
• Coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical models
• Reservoir characterization and stimulation techniques
• Fracture control on permeability enhancement and reservoir development
• Multi-phase flow and heat transport in fractured rock
This position is expected to overlap with DRI’s ongoing work in related areas. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in program development within the chosen focal area. Given satisfactory performance, and proven ability to generate research funding, it is anticipated that this position will evolve into a regular research faculty position.
• Ph.D. in hydrology/hydrogeology, engineering, earth sciences or other related discipline from an accredited institution
• Background in either theoretical or applied rock fracture mechanics, or flow/transport modeling in subsurface media
• Strong programming skills
• Ability to work independently to fulfill project goals and meet project deadlines
• Evidence of the ability to participate in and coordinate collaborative research
• Ability to develop research proposals and participate in grant writing and peer reviewed publications
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Research focus that is complementary with existing DRI programs
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with qualifications, with continued appointment (assessed annually for up to a maximum of three years) being dependent upon performance and availability of funding. This position is eligible for DRI’s benefits package and relocation assistance.
Qualified individuals interested in this position must apply online at http://jobs.dri.edu/postings/248
To ensure full consideration, your application package should be received by June 3, 2017.
For questions regarding this position, please call the DRI recruiting office at 702-862-5548.
DRI is an AA/EEO employer who gives consideration in employment without regard to race, color, religion, and sex. Individuals with disabilities or protected veteran status are encouraged to apply.