Plant/Soil Postdoctoral Fellow
Plant/Soil Postdoctoral Fellow - 83451
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow. The Postdoctoral Fellow will develop novel approaches to study plant-root-soil interactions under dynamic and future climatic conditions using a combination of below ground (geophysics, hydrology and geochemistry) and above ground remote sensing technologies (e.g. hyperspectral imaging). The Postdoctoral Fellow will work with a multi-disciplinary group of scientists to improve the understanding of the interactive feedback between plant growth, root development and changes of soil and climatic conditions.
What You Will Do:
• Develop the scientific basis for an advanced plant root phenotyping technology using geophysical methods.
• Develop an understanding of the link between below ground root development/adaption and above ground plant growth and productivity under a range of soil and climatic conditions.
• Present results and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
• Work in an integrated multi-disciplinary team environment.
What Is Required:
• Ph.D in Environmental Sciences, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Biogeochemistry or relevant related field.
• Outstanding record of original and high-quality research.
• Demonstrated experience and enthusiasm for understanding the dynamics of the plant-soil biomes.
• Expertise in soil, plant or environmental sciences with a particular emphasis on at least one of the following domains: near surface geophysics, soil-plant interaction, lab and field scale soil biogeochemistry and hydrology, and surface-subsurface interactions.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
Familiarity with hydrogeophysical methods, geochemistry, soil physics and mechanics, plant genetics and physiology, remote sensing, statistical methods.
An interest and spirit in working with a multi-disciplinary team.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=108201 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".