Assistant Professor-Applied Geophysics & Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream-Geoscience Education
The Department of Chemical and Physical Sciences (CPS) at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) invites applications for two faculty positions; which will begin on July 1, 2018.
1) a tenure-stream appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in the broad area of Applied Geophysics, including paleomagnetism, seismology, geodesy, exploration geophysics, basin analysis, and geodynamic modeling.
The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Geophysics/Earth Science at the time of appointment, a strong academic background, an excellent research record, and a strong demonstrated commitment to teaching. We particularly encourage applicants with industry experience. The successful applicant will be expected to develop new courses in geophysics and field geology, with a focus on resource exploration that will educate students in introductory and advanced geosciences, prepare them for careers in industry and environment, and provide them with courses necessary for their Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (APGO) certification. Excellence in research is demonstrated by an output of research and publications in top-ranked and field-relevant academic journals, presentations at major conferences, supervision and mentorship of students, awards and accolades, and strong endorsements by referees of high standing. The successful candidate, who will have membership in the Graduate Department of Earth Sciences at University of Toronto, will be expected to engage with researchers in Earth Science and Physical Geography at UTM and on the other two U of T campuses. For detailed application information and to apply, visit https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10050/jobdetail.ftl?job=1701271.
2) an appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream in the area of Geoscience Education, with an emphasis on Economic Geology and Geochemistry.
The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Earth Science at the time of appointment, with an excellent pedagogical research record and demonstration of innovative teaching approaches. Applicants must have a strong background in conducting field courses, a record of undergraduate mentorship and student-driven research initiatives, a background in curriculum development, and a keen interest in developing novel approaches to engaging undergraduates of all academic backgrounds. The candidate will contribute to teaching the core undergraduate courses in the Earth Science programs, develop and supervise undergraduate laboratories, and conduct pedagogical research. The successful applicant will contribute to designing the new Earth Science teaching laboratories that are scheduled to open in 2019. Evidence of excellence in teaching is demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications in pedagogical journals, teaching awards and accomplishments, strong letters of reference (at least two of which must speak directly to teaching ability) and teaching materials including a teaching statement submitted with the application. For detailed application information and to apply, visit https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10050/jobdetail.ftl?job=1701316
More searches like this
- Geochemistry Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) jobs in PhD
- Geodesy Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) jobs in PhD
- Near Surface Geophysics Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) jobs in PhD
- Seismology Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) jobs in PhD
- Solid Earth Geophysics Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) jobs in PhD