Postdoctoral Fellow, Hydrometeorologist
The Desert Research Institute (DRI; http://www.dri.edu) is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in the area of hydrometeorology. The Postdoctoral position will be linked to ongoing research programs within DRI and will be an integral part of DRI’s hydrologic sciences team. Within this team, the position has the opportunity to collaborate with hydrologists, hydrogeologists, engineers, and atmospheric scientists. The position will be expected to interpret, reason, and develop statistical and dynamic climate projections using global- or regional-climate models, as well as precipitation and flood frequency analyses for engineering assessments in typically semi- and arid environments. Collaboration with researchers in other areas of hydrologic sciences is also strongly encouraged. The position will be located at DRI’s Las Vegas campus.
Candidates are encouraged to review DRI’s research in hydrologic sciences (http://www.dri.edu/hydrologic-sciences) to identify links with existing research activities. Candidates are directed to provide information on how his or her research will complement DRI’s hydrologic research portfolio. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in program development. Given satisfactory performance, and proven ability to generate research funding, this position has the potential to evolve into a regular research faculty position.
• Ph.D. in hydrometeorology/hydrology, engineering, or other related discipline from an accredited institution.
• Experience with hydrologic/hydraulic and environmental data compilation; climate modeling; and data quality assessment.
• Extensive experience with computer programming and Big Data problems.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain quality, safety, and control standards.
• Evidence of the ability to participate in and coordinate collaborative research.
• Team player with diverse interests and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently to fulfill project goals and meet project deadlines.
• Ability to conceptualize and develop research proposals.
• Ability to effectively analyze and report research findings to sponsors, at conferences, and in the scientific literature (strong oral and written English communication skills).
• Research focus that is complementary with existing DRI programs.
• U.S. Citizenship.
• Ability to obtain a US Government security clearance.
• Nevada driver's license or ability to obtain one by hire date.
SALARY / BENEFITS
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with qualifications, with continued appointment (assessed annually for up to a maximum of three years) being dependent upon performance and availability of funding. This position is eligible for DRI’s benefits package and relocation assistance.
Qualified individuals interested in this position must apply online at http://jobs.dri.edu/postings/289. To ensure full consideration, your application package should be received by October 13, 2017.