Research Group Leader (m/f) in the area of Submesoscale Dynamics
Research Group Leader (m/f)
in the area of Submesoscale Dynamics
code no. 2018/KO 1
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), centre for materials and coastal research, is located near Hamburg and in Teltow, near Berlin. You can find more information at http://www.hzg.de. The Institute of Coastal Research investigates the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean and the impact of anthropogenic influences on the natural state.
One scientific focus of the Institute of Coastal Research is the investigation of submesoscale dynamics in the coastal ocean. The Institute uses and develops a unique set of instruments and platforms ranging from a Zeppelin to speed boats and drones, as well as marine radar, towed-instrument chains, or in situ hyperspectral detectors allowing for very-high resolution observations on the order of meters and seconds. The institute has led several large submesoscale experiments (SubEx) off the coast of California and in the Baltic Sea (Expedition Clockwork Ocean, www.clockwork-ocean.com) and is using high resolution ROMS and LES models with the aim to understand the physical dynamics of submesoscale eddies and fronts and their interaction with biogeochemical and biological processes.
We invite applications for the Leader (m/f) of the research group Submesoscale Dynamics at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on June 1, 2018. The position is initially limited to five years.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- lead of the research group Submesoscale Dynamics
- planning and leading of international research expeditions
- guidance of students and postdoctoral researchers
- scientific analysis of submesoscale processes
- development of strategies for the synthesis of submesoscale measurements and modelling studies
- scientific publications and presentations
- acquisition of third-party funding
- active participation in the strategic development of the institute
- working as an integral part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
- a Doctorate degree in physical, biogeochemical or biological oceanography, engineering, or related discipline, e.g. meteorology
- very good knowledge of ocean dynamics, preferably of small-scale or submesoscale processes
- strong academic publication record
- excellent communication skills in English (written and oral)
- high degree of creativity and flexibility; ability to work under pressure
- ability to lead an interdisciplinary team with scientists, engineers, and technicians
- experience in ocean observations or modelling, preferably on small-scale coastal dynamics
- experience in instrument development
- proven record of acquiring third party funding
- experience in advising students or technicians
- desire to acquire solid communication skills in German
- several years of international research experience
For further questions please contact Prof. Dr. Burkard Baschek (Burkard.Baschek@hzg.de).
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany's second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2018/KO 1 including your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience and goals, and a list of up to three references to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is March 11th, 2018.