Scientist to investigate climate change risks to financial markets
Woods Hole Research Center
Scientist to investigate climate change risks to financial markets - Job #PDS18
SUMMARY: The Woods Hole Research Center seeks a scientist who will lead a new research effort into the effects of climate change on financial markets and investment risk. This work will be funded through a new partnership with a major private investment firm and a major public asset holder. This scientist will collaborate with investors and data scientists from those organizations. The successful candidate will use the results of climate models and observational climate data, together with financial, demographic, and other socioeconomic data, to assess climate impact on asset values and investment risk. The position will be 75% funded through the partnership with our investment partners. After a ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be expected to obtain external funding to support 1-2 months/year of effort. S/he will be expected to divide time between Boston and the WHRC campus in Falmouth.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will:
- Help define and lead the direction of the joint research effort into the effects of climate change on financial markets and investment risk.
- Participate substantively in the research; supervise and mentor research assistant(s).
- Communicate research results within the partnership and externally. Internal communication is an important means for this activity to add value to WHRC writ large and to our financial partners.
- Synthesize relevant published research and communicate this to the financial partners semi-annually.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed literature and elsewhere.
- Develop and execute an annual plan for obtaining partial funding for his/her position.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Earth System Science, Geography, Mathematics, or a related discipline, with demonstrated strong quantitative data analysis skills and at least one year of relevant work experience.
- Significant record of successful research. Relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Viewed as a leader in his/her chosen discipline at national and international levels.
- Experience managing large (terabyte scale) data volumes for analysis and visualization in a Linux environment.
- Experience analyzing the results of climate models.
- Ability to develop analysis code (using e.g., R or Matlab) and to learn new skills as needed.
- Ability to assess and implement appropriate computation needs.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with minimal oversight.
- Interest in working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Experience using climate projections to assess societal impacts of climate change.
- Understanding of extreme value theory.
- Understanding of and interest in financial markets.
Desired Start Date: September, 2018.
Application Deadline: July 1, 2018 or until filled.
Appointment: The initial funding for this project is anticipated to be for 5 years.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. WHRC offers a very competitive salary as well as a generous benefit package.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type “PDS18” in the subject line.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, the Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) is a private, non-profit research organization and acclaimed leader in addressing the great global environmental issues of our time through science and policy. Its core focus is to conduct high quality scientific research, and policy analysis/implementation, on environmental and economic issues, particularly climate change. A leader in its field, WHRC has 60 staff members, and attracts some of today’s top experts on global environment issues. For four years running, WHRC has been ranked the world’s #1 climate change think tank by the International Center for Climate Governance.
More searches like this
- Atmospheric Sciences Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Biogeosciences Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Global Environmental Change Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Interdisciplinary/Other Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999