Director, USGS EROS Center
Job Opportunity: Director, USGS EROS Center, Sioux Falls, SD
The Director, of the U.S. Geological Survey’s (USGS) Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center, provides executive leadership, management, and critical evaluation of the Center’s satellite mission management, geographic research and applications development and long-term data management projects and support activities. Other responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for the technical and administrative guidance and oversight of all scientific research, applications, engineering and development, and production activities conducted by EROS.
- Represents the USGS’s interests in space mission forums.
- Directs the activities of the EROS staff and supporting contracts, including the operation of satellite mission control facilities, the operation of associated ground receiving and processing systems; development of agreements with international cooperators, the operation of the Land Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LPDAAC); the management of the National Satellite Land Remote Sensing Data Archive; and the conduct of research on new remote sensing tools and their applications to land resource management and Earth science issues.
- Manages USGS leadership of and/or participation in the Landsat 9, Land Cover Monitoring, Assessment and Projection (LCMAP), the Landfire Program, the National Land Cover Dataset (NLCD) Program, ongoing satellite mission operations for Landsat 7 and 8, the Famine Early Warning Systems, and emergency response support to disaster situations.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and collaborative relationships with executives, national program coordinators and science managers throughout the USGS, representing all discipline areas in order to promote and facilitate the growth and success of integrated and multidisciplinary science program and projects.
Open & closing dates - 05/07/2018 to 06/08/2018
For more information on qualifications criteria and how to apply: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498864900