Department Head - Geology and Geological Engineering
The Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines (Mines) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic leader to head the Department. We seek a recognized teacher and researcher with a proven track record of leadership, management, vision, and mentoring. We seek candidates excited to share in our mission to address the challenges of creating a sustainable global society by educating the next generation of leading scientists and engineers, and by expanding the frontiers of knowledge through research. The department head will demonstrate a commitment to excellence in research and teaching. We are especially interested in candidates with a passion to advance the University’s diversity and online commitment.
The successful candidate will be expected to work effectively in a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment within the Department, across the Mines campus, and with external partners to:
- Provide leadership to enhance the mission and activities of the Department by fostering a vision and strategy to strengthen the research and teaching in the Department.
- Oversee management of the Department, with budgetary responsibilities for strategic, academic, and operational development of the Department.
- Promote and support continued professional growth of faculty and staff, in particular in the area of educational innovation.
- Facilitate a world-class environment for research in geology and geological engineering with active collaborations with academia and industry.
- Administer and lead the renewal of curricula and teaching activities.
- Represent the Department to the university administration, other university units, industry, and to public and private agencies at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Oversee recruitment of world-class faculty, and facilitate professional development, and retention of faculty, staff, and students.
- Engagement with alumni and emeritus faculty.
- Lead fund-raising for departmental activities, budget preparation and management.
Department Heads at Mines are also expected to teach courses, advise graduate students, and maintain a leading international research program.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Geology, Geological Engineering or a related field, and a proven track record in teaching, research and service. Applicant should meet the criteria for the rank of Professor. Inspiring leadership qualities, enthusiasm, effective interpersonal communication and organizational skills, are a must. The successful candidate will have demonstrated high ethical standards and is expected to operate in a transparent and collegial way. The successful candidate should be versatile and responsive to the needs of the faculty, staff, and students within the Department and have a strong commitment to enhance the diversity of faculty, staff, and students.
Please visit our website at http://jobs.mines.edu/cw/en-us/job/493021/professor-and-department-head-geology-and-geological-engineering for the complete announcement and instructions on how to apply.