AGI Data Internship
The AGI Workforce Program tracks the supply and demand of geoscientists by collecting original data and analyzing existing data from Federal and industry sources, in order to inform the geoscience community of workforce trends and issues through regular reports. The Workforce Program also engages the next generation of geoscientists by supporting student recruitment at the college level and by communicating with students, faculty, and non-academic professionals about making the transition into the geoscience workforce after graduation.
AGI’s Workforce Program is seeking an intern to work with the Workforce Staff on a specific NSF-funded project on the classification of geoscience graduate programs in the United States.
• Identifying all graduate programs in the geosciences, including oceanography and atmospheric sciences
• Scouring websites and data mining for information on each departments’ programmatic elements of their graduate programs
• Survey each department for information not found through other forms of data mining
• Begin categorizing the various departments based on these program elements
• Conduct interviews with various department representatives and code the interview responses
• Help design the resulting database of results from the project
• Develop at least 1 Geoscience Currents (https://www.americangeosciences.org/workforce/currents) on the collected data
This internship is intended for students pursuing a master’s degree or students that recently graduated with a bachelor’s or master’s degree with experience in data collection, statistical analysis, human subjects research, and/or database management. Strong communication and teamwork skills are required.
The internship is 12 weeks long and includes a $5,000 stipend. The preferred starting date would be towards the beginning of September. The internship is located at the offices for the American Geosciences Institute in Alexandria, VA. The intern will be responsible for finding a housing arrangement if needed.
To apply for this position, please send a resume with a cover letter describing how your experience will help you in this position. Please also include names and contact information for two references via email to email@example.com, with the subject heading “Workforce Data Internship.”
All applications must be received by May 31, 2018. All applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
For more information, please contact Carolyn Wilson, Geoscience Workforce Data Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Geosciences Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for AGI Data Internship
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly