Geoscience Manager-Digital Mapping Laboratory
University of Idaho
Geoscience Manager-Digital Mapping Laboratory
Division/College: University Research (Div)
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience, up to $70,000
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Geoscience Manager - Digital Mapping Laboratory
Idaho Geological Survey
The Idaho Geological Survey (IGS) has a full-time, permanent opening for a Geoscience Manager to oversee and manage the Digital Mapping Laboratory located on the Moscow campus of the University of Idaho. The Geoscience Manager will manage and maintain production, publication, and delivery of geologic and other IGS maps, products, and data. The successful candidate will supervise and train Geologists, GIS Analysts, Digital Cartographers, and others working on Survey projects within the Digital Mapping Laboratory. The incumbent will also be responsible for the oversight of Information Technology contractors, maintaining and updating GIS software, developing and maintaining lab budgets for equipment and service contracts, identifying equipment and software needs, and providing input to the Director for long-term planning and best management practices to ensure smooth operation of the Lab. Co-management of the IGS website and Windows network domain are additional responsibilities of the position. A strong understanding of geologic mapping principals are important skills for the incumbent to successfully collaborate with geologic staff on research projects.
An attractive benefits package and moving allowance is available to the successful candidate; an annual salary up to $70,000 is provided, commensurate with experience.
For more information and to apply visit: http://apptrkr.com/1224672
• Master’s Degree in Geology or closely related field.
• Proven experience with ESRI ArcGIS software applications.
• Three years of post-degree applied ArcGIS work experience with geologic and geospatial data (teaching experience at any level or graduate TA or RA assistantships or Post Doctorate Internships are not counted as applied work experience).
• Proficient understanding of geologic maps and geologic mapping principals.
• Proficiency in general office computer software (e.g., Microsoft Office).
• Working knowledge in database design.
• Working knowledge of programming language for GIS applications.
• Working knowledge of PC computers including servers.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to pass University of Idaho Defensive Driving course.
• Map publication experience including publishing maps and other publications using ArcMap and Adobe Illustrator.
• Proven record of successful management of technical staff including direct supervision of geology, GIS , and digital cartographic employees.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and be part of a larger team working environment.
• Proven knowledge and work experience with management of IT contractors.
• Working knowledge of SQL database scripting language.
• Working knowledge of computer IT systems including MS Active Directory and managing local domains.
• Proven and advanced knowledge/work experience with Python programing.
• Demonstrated experience with teaching GIS and database skills to technical staff.
• Applied GIS /geology work experience with a state or federal geologic survey.
• Proven experience with conducting geologic mapping.
• Proven working experience with Lidar applications in the field of geology.
• Ph.D. in Geology or closely related field with an emphasis in geospatial and GIS applications of geology.
• Registration as an Idaho Licensed Professional Geologist (PG) or ability to complete licensure within 18 months of employment at IGS . Licensure enhances eligibility for merit-based pay increases.
• GIS Certificate or equivalent.
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD software.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Ability to carry and/or otherwise move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Posting Number: SP001728P
Posting Date: 03/14/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Preferential review of applicants to begin on April 16, 2018.
Finalists for this position are required to travel to Moscow at IGS expense for an interview and provide a 30-minute oral presentation on their applied work or research on geological projects using GIS and other applications.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1224672
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.