- Sector Type
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST), a growing scientific and high technology company, is seeking an Outreach Specialist to support the NASA SCSO contract.
As a member of the Science Communications Support Office (SCSO) team, the Outreach Specialist will assist the SCSO in promoting NASA’s Science Mission Directorate (SMD) at science professional conferences, meetings, and public events through internal and external coordination, content development, serving as a docent to science stories, and staffing of technical and non-technical exhibits.
This role is accountable for the development and execution of external meetings, events, conferences, and trade shows that support Space and Earth science within SMD. The Outreach Specialist will collaborate with SCSO team members, scientists, data visualizers, multimedia developers, and producers on the production and dissemination of NASA Science content as an effective communication tool.
The Outreach Specialist will be based in Greenbelt, MD. The position involves travel (~40%) to events when required.
- Be responsible for design, layout, cost estimates, and construction of exhibits and displays.
- Evaluate displays to determine effectiveness and identify potential areas for improvement to ensure display objectives are met.
- Demonstrate organizational leadership as well as people-oriented and excellent team player skills.
- Be familiar with NASA’s standard concepts, practices, and procedures and help to ensure that service delivery is aligned and fully supports SCSO priorities and goals. Recognize opportunities that benefit and increase service value to the organization and GST. A wide degree of creativity and latitude are required.
- Interact with various levels of Government management, a variety of outreach teams within NASA as well as outside the NASA environment, and professional associations worldwide to coordinate team efforts and build internal and external customer confidence, develop rapport, and build/maintain professional relationships.
- Effectively utilize computer systems and programs to maximize business opportunities and respond to customer needs.
- Effectively use social media tools in promoting planned NASA exhibition activities within NASA guidelines.
- B.S. degree in communications, physical sciences, or a related field and 5 years minimum of professional experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Have 3–5 years of experience in the area of professional science trades shows.
- Ability to offer project guidance and prioritize projects and schedules to meet deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Previous NASA experience is a plus.
This position requires 40% travel, including local, domestic and international as well as occasional weekends.
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
- Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
- Ability to think on one’s feet.
U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) is required.
Selected applicants will be subject to a government background investigation.
GST offers competitive salaries; vacation, sick, and holiday leave; major medical, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; 401K retirement plan; tuition assistance; and opportunities for employee career growth and development.
You may also fax your resume to (240) 366-5743. If you need assistance, please call (301) 474-9696.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation and gender identity. GST is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.