Education and Community Engagement Specialist-Geoscience workforce initiative focus
Join us! UNAVCO is a non-profit, university-governed consortium facilitating geoscience research and education using geodesy. Learn more about UNAVCO on YouTube.
focused on Geoscience-Workforce and Broadening Participation
UNAVCO invites applications for the staff position of Education and Community Engagement Specialist, responsible for managing the portfolio of work under the geoscience workforce (geo-workforce) initiative. The geo-workforce initiative aims to facilitate the development of a robust, well-trained and diverse geoscience workforce with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to tackle emerging scientific and societal issues. The work portfolio includes multiple internship programs, supporting UNAVCO efforts in increasing diversity in the geoscience workforce, and developing programmatic support for students, early career professionals, and researchers in the geodetic and geophysics community. The successful candidate will be a member of the Education and Community Engagement program staff.
Job responsibilities include:
- Manage internship programs including but not limited to: recruitment, selection, programmatic activities, events, and conference support.
- Manage existing efforts and contribute to the development of new activities focused on early career support and community engagement in geodesy and geoscience.
- Represent UNAVCO in local and national science diversity networks.
- Maintain internal schedules and metrics to manage activities and monitor impact.
- Contribute to efforts to secure funding and resources.
- Contribute to reports, product generation, web content, and multi-media materials.
- Conduct occasional travel related to project support, meetings, conferences, and exhibit presence, and respond to external events outside established working hours.
Internal: Reports to the ECE Program Director, interacts and collaborates with peers and colleagues across the organization.
External: Collaborates with UNAVCO staff and Community members on projects and products on a daily basis. Responds and reports to stakeholders on project results.
- Academic degree in geodesy, geology, or closely related geoscience
- Experience conducting scientific research
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Effective oral and written communication skills with diverse stakeholders including scientists, sponsors, industry professionals and co-workers.
- Masters or Ph.D. degree strongly preferred.
This is a replacement, full-time, position based at UNAVCO headquarters in Boulder, Colorado, one of the finest living environments in the West.
To complete your application, please submit a PDF that contains:
- letter of application,
- vita or resume,
- statement of geoscience education interests and experience, and
- names and contact information for three or more professional references.
Questions should be directed to Human Resources, email@example.com
Additional information is available on UNAVCO’s web page at www.unavco.org.
Screening of applicants will begin July 2, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
UNAVCO is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity organization, with a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and persons of disability. Persons of disability may request accommodation during the application and/or interview process through Human Resources.