Postdoctoral research position at APHYS, ENAC-EPFL on microstructure and turbulent fluxes in lakes
Postdoctoral research position at APHYS, ENAC-EPFL on microstructure and turbulent fluxes in lakes The Aquatic Physics Laboratory at the Institute of Environmental Engineering of EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland) in collaboration with the Limnology Center has an opening of an early-career
postdoc position on microstructure and turbulence in the context of primary production in stratified lakes.
In collaboration with partners at Eawag and the Universities of Geneva and Lausanne and other researchers (http://wp.unil.ch/lexplore) we started an interdisciplinary project estimating primary production with new in-situ methods. To strengthen the team, we look for a postdoc with competence
and experience in measuring, interpreting and modelling turbulence in stratified natural waters. We also expect a strong background in data analysis, profound knowledge in freshwater sciences and fieldwork experience.
The applicant’s main responsibility will be the acquisition and analysis of data relevant to fluxes related to the primary production project and in particular to the handling of our VMP-500 microstructure profiler (https://rocklandscientific.com/products/profilers/vmp-500/), which can be
operated from the newly-built LéXPLORE Research Platform (http://wp.unil.ch/lexplore). This infrastructure enables in-situ measurements at unprecedented frequencies and allows a better linkage between lake-internal ecosystem processes and large-scale forcings (Aquatic Physics
website: http://aphys.epfl.ch/). Your readiness to collaborate with related researchers (see partners above) is important. This position is meant for at least two years, with the potential of prolongation, for a candidate who looks for a career in aquatic sciences.
- PhD in physics, aquatic or atmospheric sciences, environmental engineering
- Experience in measurements with microstructure sensors
- Research interest and background in aquatic physics, modelling and large data sets
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in a scientific career including quality publications
- Excellent knowledge of English (French is of additional advantage).
- Build-up of competencies on platform-based turbulence measurements
- Collaboration and joint publications with the primary production project partners; field measurements; organization of workshops in an interdisciplinary environment
- Supervision of Masters students within projects.
Starting date: immediately, on the basis of competitive application (position is open until filled; first interviews will be after mid-July 2018).
Contract duration: minimum 2 years (further extension on mutual agreement).
Application: Applications should include (i) the CV, (ii) a motivation letter with a research outline and (iii) three contacts for references. Please, send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.