Climate Scientist - Job #PDS18
Woods Hole Research Center
Climate Scientist - Job #PDS18
SUMMARY: Are you a research scientist who wants to use your technical skills to help society fight climate change? The Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) seeks a Ph.D climate scientist who will lead a new collaborative effort to understand the implications of climate change for asset values and investment risk.
The successful candidate will have expertise in a climate-related scientific field, such as earth system science, geography, mathematics, physics, or a related discipline. What we need most is a smart and successful candidate, who believes in our mission as much as we do - and wants to use their technical skills to address climate change.
We believe this effort has the potential to catalyze societal action on climate change by helping to account for climate risk in asset valuation and financial markets. The position will be funded through a new partnership with a large private investment firm and a public asset management firm. WHRC will contribute understanding of climate science and the partners will provide expertise in financial markets.
The position is funded for 10 - 11 months of the year. Initial funding for this project is anticipated to be for 3-5 years. After a ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be expected to obtain external funding to support 1-2 months/year of effort. S/he will be expected to divide time between Boston and the WHRC campus in Falmouth, MA.
The successful candidate will:
- Research and model climate change impacts; supervise and mentor research assistant(s)
- Work with financial partners to determine specific questions to be investigated.
- Communicate research results within the partnership and externally.
- Synthesize relevant published research and communicate this to the financial partners semi-annually.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed literature and elsewhere.
- Develop and execute an annual plan for obtaining partial funding for his/her position.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Earth System Science, Geography, Mathematics, or a related discipline, with demonstrated strong quantitative data analysis skills and at least one year of relevant work experience.
- Significant record of successful research. Relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Experience managing large (terabyte scale) data volumes for analysis and visualization in a Linux environment.
- Experience analyzing the results of climate models.
- Ability to develop analysis code (using e.g., R or Matlab) and to learn new skills as needed.
- Ability to assess and implement appropriate computation needs.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with minimal oversight.
- Interest in working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Experience using climate projections to assess societal impacts of climate change.
- Understanding of extreme value theory.
- Understanding of and interest in financial markets.
Desired Start Date: September, 2018.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2018 or until filled.
Appointment: The initial funding for this project is anticipated to be for 5 years.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. WHRC offers a very competitive salary as well as a generous benefit package.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type “PDS18” in the subject line.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, the Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) is a private, non-profit research organization and acclaimed leader in addressing the great global environmental issues of our time through science and policy. Its core focus is to conduct high quality scientific research, and policy analysis/implementation, on environmental and economic issues, particularly climate change. A leader in its field, WHRC has 60 staff members, and attracts some of today’s top experts on global environment issues. For four years running, WHRC has been ranked the world’s #1 climate change think tank by the International Center for Climate Governance. We are an equal opportunity employer.
More searches like this
- Atmospheric Sciences Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Biogeosciences Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Global Environmental Change Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999
- Interdisciplinary/Other Any Experience Level Considered PhD jobs in $150,000 - $199,999