Asst/Assoc Director & Asst Research Professor, Assoc Research Professor, or Research Professor
Provide scientific oversight and management for NOAA funded partner-funded research and development activities related to NOAA/NCEI’s Coastal Ecosystem Data Assembly Center (CEDAC) and the Coastal Data Development Program (CDD). Develop and expand research program as it relates to NCEI coastal and marine data collections.
The CEDAC is envisioned as an extensive, multi‐disciplinary scientific data exchange, serving the needs of data providers as well as data consumers. NGI data architects will work with NCEI data scientists and scientific data stewards to develop methods, tools and techniques to standardize and optimize data management processes. The CEDAC approach will provide opportunities for data synthesis including fusion, harmonization, and development of integrated products and use‐inspired services. The CEDAC is also envisioned to provide a unified public interface for timely, easy, and convenient public access to the data collections resulting from the Gulf recovery and restoration activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- CEDAC and CDD Scientific Oversight :
- Create Annual Science Plan that covers both CEDAC and CDD science objectives and goals and includes projected outcomes and progress monitoring. Plan also should reflect expected partner activities.
- Provide required reports and briefings on status of the CDD partner activities
- Convene and/or participate in regular meetings to discuss status of objectives, goals, and outcomes.
- Research Program Development:
- Enhance the understanding of historical trends, anomalies, and the frequency of coastal and marine event occurrences;
- Investigate and develop opportunities for data synthesis including data fusion, harmonization, and visualization;
- Investigate, develop and transition innovative data stewardship solutions to enhance NOAA’s data management and dissemination capabilities;
- Identify and lead development of integrated coastal and marine data products and use-inspired services;
- Support Research to Operations (R20) and/or R2O and /or R2X depending on the NOAA Research Readiness Level (See NOAA Administrative Order 216-105A)
- Lead grant proposal writing and publishing of results from the scientific work;
- Mentor students and early career scientists
The position will be located at the Mississippi State University Science and Technology Center at the Stennis Space Center, MS.
Salary commensurate with abilities and experience. This position will require attendance at programmatic meetings or scientific conferences and workshops that may require domestic or international travel.
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, Marine Sciences or related field
- US Citizen
- Ability to receive a Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance.
- Documented scientific program management experience
- Demonstrated ability to adequately manage multiple science-based projects simultaneously with superior results
- Demonstrated ability to compose peer-reviewed papers, technical reports and make oral presentations
- Computer literate and experienced with common word processing, database, and office applications
- Quantitative data analysis skills including experience with time series analysis and data aggregation.
- Experience with statistical programs (SAS, SPSS) or programming languages (MatLab, R, Python)
- Existing Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
More searches like this
- Biogeosciences Faculty PhD jobs in Data Management Certification
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Faculty PhD jobs in Data Management Certification
- Global Environmental Change Faculty PhD jobs in Data Management Certification
- Natural Hazards Faculty PhD jobs in Data Management Certification
- Near Surface Geophysics Faculty PhD jobs in Data Management Certification