Vegetation Modeling Postdoc
Vegetation Modeling Postdoc
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico
The Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is seeking applications from diverse postdoctoral candidates with expertise in modeling vegetation dynamics under various environmental conditions (e.g., coastal, tropics and arctic) for spring 2019. The successful candidate will improve the current state-of-the-art dynamic vegetation model, the DOE-sponsored Functionally Assembled Terrestrial Simulator (FATES), to better represent vegetation responses to water/nutrient limitations and salinity stress; parameterize and evaluate the model with observations from field or remote sensing; and test hypotheses related to vegetation responses to changes in future environmental conditions. The successful candidate will work within a multi-disciplinary team of plant physiologists, ecologists, hydrologists, geomorphologists and applied mathematicians from LANL and other national laboratories. Applications will be reviewed as received.
- Ph.D. in Ecology, Environmental Science, Earth System Modeling or a closely related field within the past five years (or soon to be completed)
- Demonstrated experience in using models to predict and understand vegetation dynamics under different environmental conditions
- Proven quantitative analysis skills with experience in one or more of the following programing and analysis languages: Python, C, Matlab and R
- Proven ability to work in a highly collaborative team setting
- Diverse research experience with a preference for Earth System modeling
- Demonstrated experience in the analysis and incorporation of data and observations for model development and testing
- Demonstrated experience in model development and high-performance computing
- Scientific excellence as evidenced by publication in refereed journals
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our on-site cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC67661: https://lanl.jobs/los-alamos-nm/vegetation-modeling-postdoc/241e492bdbf34f6bb232425e1eef5e9c/job/
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.