Voss Postdoctoral Research Associate
Voss Postdoctoral Research Associate
The Institute at Brown for Environment and Society (IBES) seeks candidates for one or more distinguished postdoctoral positions in any field of study relevant to environmental research. Voss postdoctoral research associates conduct independent research, but are mentored by one or more IBES affiliated faculty. These faculty have expertise in a wide variety of disciplines: Anthropology, Biogeochemistry, Climate Modeling, Ecology, Economics, Environmental History, Epidemiology, Hydrology, and Sociology (for a complete list of IBES affiliated faculty see https://www.brown.edu/academics/institute-environment-society/people).
Appointments will have an expected term of two years starting in July 2019 or soon thereafter. Postdoctoral research associates receive a salary of $60,000, plus benefits and a discretionary fund of $2,000/year in addition to any research funds that may be directed to the project by mentors. Postdoctoral RAs are expected to devote their appointment to research activities, but in special cases postdoctoral RAs may have the opportunity to teach undergraduate courses.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITERIA
Requirements for the positions include a Ph.D. in a field to the study relevant to environmental research, ability to take initiative and work independently, and an interest in contributing to a dialog across disciplinary boundaries. Applicants should submit a research proposal based on the guidelines below, including identification of a proposed faculty mentor. Proposals will be judged on scientific merit, an achievable research plan, and the degree to which they contribute to or compliment the research activities of faculty mentors. Letters of support will be requested from proposed mentors, so applicants will benefit from contacting proposed mentors early in the process.
To apply, please submit the following items at http://apply.interfolio.com/53729 by November 12, 2018.
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position and how this position relates to your career goals;
- Current CV;
- Required project proposal (1500 words maximum, excluding references): Proposals should briefly address the following points:
- Title and brief abstract
- Project background and importance: What is known and what is new about this question? Why does it matter?
- How does this project fit with your own previous work and your proposed mentor's?
- Project plan: What will you actually do? Include a timeline or work plan if appropriate. If additional resources will be needed to complete the work, do you have options for funding them?
- Project outcomes: What products will come out of this project (e.g. articles, methods, datasets, policy briefs, educational materials)? What types of support will you need to produce and disseminate these?
- References (not included in 1500 word limit)
- Three letters of reference from advisors or colleagues who know the applicant’s work well. Referees should submit letters directly through Interfolio, which will supply a direct link when contact information is entered.
- Note that due to existing obligations, several IBES faculty (Kellner, Mustard, Fox-Kemper, Roberts, Herbert, Frickel, and Lander) cannot serve as the primary mentor in the current call for Voss Postdocs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
More searches like this
- Atmospheric Sciences Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Biogeosciences Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Geochemistry Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Global Environmental Change Postdoctoral PhD jobs in $50,000 - $74,999