Research Programmer/Senior Research Programmer
The Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science within the School of Earth, Society, and Environment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking applications for two positions as Research Programmer and/or Senior Research Programmer to design, develop, test, and implement software and interfaces for the CyberGIS Center for Advanced Digital and Spatial Studies (CyberGIS Center hereafter), and play a major role in developing a CyberGIS platform and associated geospatial software and tools with emphasis on computation, performance, and scalability to geospatial big data and complex spatial analysis and modeling.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Duties and Responsibilities
The positions will heavily emphasize software development in support of projects targeting high-performance spatial analysis and modeling algorithms, distributed online GIS and geospatial problem-solving environments, geospatial middleware and Web services based on advanced cyberinfrastructure, cyberGIS as a service for geospatial big data integration and analytics.
- Design, develop, test and implement software programs for a cyberGIS platform, e.g. online GIS capabilities and geospatial analytics tools
- Design, implement and test geospatial middleware and Web services to integrate cyberGIS with advanced cyberinfrastructure resources
- Design, develop and test scalable spatial analysis and modeling algorithms
- Develop cyberinfrastructure-based data services for the management of geospatial big data integration and analytics
- Produce code repositories, documentation, project reports, and other written materials related to software development
- Provide technical support, training, and guidance to faculty, staff, collaborators and students
- Provide supervision for academic hourly and graduate students working on geospatial software development
- Attend, contribute to and present at meetings, conferences, and workshops as a representative of the CyberGIS Center
Required Qualifications both titles
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, geographic information science, geography, information sciences, or a related field.
- One year or more programming experience with C/C++/Java and scripting language such as Perl, Python, or Shell
- Experience in code management (e.g., git, issue tracking, continuous integration)
- Knowledge and experience in software engineering and team-based software development
- Experience with software development in Linux environment
Required Qualifications – Senior Research Programmer
- Five years or more programming experience with C/C++/Java and scripting language such as Perl, Python, or Shell
- Managing software development projects and teams
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with researchers
- Experience supervising research programmers and leading software development teams
Preferred Experience both titles
- Development experience in commercial and/or open source GIS tools and technologies
- Experience in parallel computing (e.g. MPI, OpenMIP) and/or data-driven programming (e.g. Hadoop, Spark)
- Experience with database systems (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, or Cassandra) and spatial databases (e.g. PostGIS or ArcSDE)
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. OpenStack, AWS)
- Experience in programming geospatial visualization tools
- One year experience in system programming in Linux environment
- Web development experience
- Ability to interact with people in a wide range of educational, scientific, and engineering disciplines
Salary and Appointment Information
The positions are full-time and benefits-eligible. Eligibility for benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements for benefits, please reference http://humanresources.illinois.edu/employees/new-hires/benefits.html. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information
To apply, create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application materials: a letter of application and resume/CV in a single pdf. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. For inquiries about the position and application procedures, contact the Search Committee through Jill Randell at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For full consideration, applications must be submitted by October 18, 2018. Interviews and hires may occur before the closing date; however, all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration.
More searches like this
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Global Environmental Change Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in $50,000 - $74,999
- Social Sciences Early Career (up to 10 years past degree) Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in $50,000 - $74,999