Ph.D. and Master’s Graduate Assistantships - Water Research
PhD and Master’s Graduate Assistantships
The Center for Applied Earth Science and Engineering Research (CAESER) at the University of Memphis, under the Herff College of Engineering, is seeking well-qualified PhD and Master’s candidates to receive fully-funded graduate assistantships for starting studies in the Fall of 2019 – or sooner. Outstanding graduates in hydraulics, hydrology, hydrogeology, earth sciences, land use planning or computer science who are motivated to join a dynamic research group and have flexibility and interest in going to the field are encouraged to apply.
- Full tuition
- Masters stipend per year: $26,000-$32,000
- expected to complete their degree within 2 years
- PhD stipend per year: $35,000-$45,000
- expected to complete their degree in 3-4 years
As part of an interdisciplinary team of students, faculty, and research staff, the selected candidates will work on a large applied research project, funded by the local utility (Memphis Light, Gas and Water), aimed at addressing the impact of aquitard breaches on groundwater quality. Investigations will include but are not limited to numerical groundwater and contaminant transport modeling, geophysical near-surface surveying, groundwater/surface water exchange, geochemical sampling and analyses, remote sensing, and aquifer characterization.
Applicant Discipline & Qualifications
Applicants may apply to the Civil Engineering Department in the Herff College of Engineering or the Earth Sciences Department in the College of Arts and Sciences. We are also interested in candidates from land use
- Civil Engineering Department in the Herff College of Engineering
- Must have an engineering degree from a 4-year academic institution
- Earth Sciences Department in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Must have a baccalaureate degree in an appropriate science from an accredited 4-year institution
- All applicants should have exceptional communication skills, be self- motivated and able to work independently, and have excellent writing skills.
- Special consideration will be given to applicants familiar with GIS and who have programming knowledge. PhD applicants must have published in a peer reviewed journal.
- It may be necessary to work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must specify which department you are applying and provide:
- GRE/TOEFL scores
- curriculum vitae
- three letters of reference
- 200-word (maximum) reason for applying to program
- unofficial transcript
- 50-word (maximum) career interest statement
The application package should be sent to Dr. Jazaei and Dr. Waldron. Information about CAESER may be found at www.strengthencommunities.com.
Students will be selected through a competitive process. The University of Memphis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged.
More searches like this
- Earth and Space Science Informatics Student / Graduate Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in Up to $20,000
- Geochemistry Student / Graduate Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in Up to $20,000
- Hydrology Student / Graduate Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in Up to $20,000
- Interdisciplinary/Other Student / Graduate Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in Up to $20,000
- Mineral and Rock Physics Student / Graduate Bachelors GIS Certification jobs in Up to $20,000