Hydrogeophysics Postdoctoral Scholar
Hydrogeophysics Postdoctoral Scholar - 85919
Organization: AU-Earth & Environmental Sciences
Berkeley Lab’s Earth & Environmental Sciences Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar in the field of hydrogeophysics. The Postdoctoral Scholar will develop and implement new methodologies for improved understanding and quantification of shallow subsurface processes, including hydrological fluxes across bedrock-soil-surface-vegetation compartments, using geophysical and hydrological datasets. These developments will be applied in a mountainous watershed in the Upper Colorado River Basin and in the Alaskan Arctic Tundra. The Postdoctoral Scholar will work with a multi-disciplinary group of scientists to improve predictive understanding of multi-scale terrestrial system functioning, including hydrology driven biogeochemical processes.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct innovative research focused on advancing acquisition, processing, data assimilation and inversion techniques for monitoring and quantifying complex critical zone processes using geophysical and other datasets.
• Improve understanding of critical zone surface and subsurface thermal and hydrological processes.
• Disseminate results through presentations and publications.
What Is Required:
• PhD in environmental sciences, geophysics or hydrology.
• Record of original and high-quality research and publications.
• Demonstrated experience in the development of new methodologies for improved understanding and quantification of shallow subsurface processes using geophysical and hydrological datasets.
• Expertise in geophysics, hydrology and/or soil physics with a particular emphasis on geophysical and hydrological data inversion and assimilation approaches and/or quantification of surface-subsurface water-heat-gas fluxes.
• Enthusiasm for working with a team to improve understanding and prediction of field scale terrestrial system behavior.
• Ability to travel to and engage in field experiments.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
Familiarity with hydrogeophysical techniques, soil physics, remote sensing approaches and statistical or inversion methods for data analyses.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on January 31, 2019.
• This is a full time 2 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=150167 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."