Research Assistant Position Physical Climate Risk
SUMMARY: We seek a research assistant to work on an exciting new effort to quantify and map current and future physical climate risk factors relevant to investment decisions. Examples of relevant risk factors include: drought, wildfire and storm surge. The project is undertaken in partnership with a major investment firm. The successful candidate will analyze simulation output from global climate models and observations as well as assess changes in climate indices relevant to investment risk. This position requires advanced programming skills, particularly (1) the ability to manipulate and analyze large data sets in a Linux environment and (2) familiarity with Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) architectures with emphasis on Google Cloud Platform and Google Earth Engine.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will:
- Process and analyze multi-temporal geospatial data, primarily climate model output and climate observations.
- Develop metrics of climate stress related to investment.
- Harmonize global climate model output with observational databases.
- Develop current and future maps of various climate risk indices.
- Work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, cross-disciplinary environment to analyze, synthesize, and present results.
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. Degree in physical or environmental science, geography, mathematics or a related discipline. M.S. Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated strong data analysis skills.
- Experience managing large (terabyte scale) data volumes for analysis and visualization in a Linux environment and/or Google Earth Engine and/or other cloud-based platform.
- Ability to develop programming code (e.g., R, Python, and/or Matlab) and to learn new skills as needed.
- Knowledge and interest in global climate change research.
- Ability to assess and implement appropriate computation needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment.
Desired Start Date: May or June 2019
Appointment: This is a one-year appointment, with the potential to extend.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is $47,000 to $55,000, depending on experience. WHRC offers a competitive salary as well as a very generous benefits package.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2019, or until filled.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “ZZRA19” in the subject line.
The Woods Hole Research Center is an independent, nonprofit institute focused on environmental science, policy, and education. WHRC is an equal opportunity employer.