Ecosystem Modeler Research Scientist (Climate and Ecosystems)
Ecosystem Modeler Research Scientist (Climate and Ecosystems) - 86369
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab’s Climate and Ecosystems Division has an opening for a Research Scientist.
This Research Scientist position is for an individual with expertise in high-latitude terrestrial biogeochemistry, plant processes, land-surface modeling, and land-climate interactions.
The successful candidate will focus on several groups of important high-latitude terrestrial ecosystem processes, including: (1) carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus biogeochemistry; (2) plant processes and nutrient competition; (3) coupled hydrological and biogeochemical cycles; and (4) impacts on the surface energy budget due to changes in vegetation and nutrient cycling. Foci will be on high-latitude systems and their interactions with the atmosphere. A primary goal of this position will be to develop realistic, mechanistic, and testable land models that can be applied across spatial and temporal scales. Analyzing interactions between the atmosphere and terrestrial biosphere will also be an important component of the research.
This is a three-year term position with the possibility of being extended to five years and/or converted to career, based on continued performance and availability of funding.
What You Will Do:
• Develop and apply mathematical models for high-latitude and global terrestrial processes.
• Evaluate biogeochemical and plant physiological interactions and their effects on carbon and energy exchanges with the atmosphere.
• Work creatively, independently, and productively.
• Work as a member of a large multidisciplinary research team.
• Author technical reports and peer-reviewed journal articles.
What is Required:
• Advanced degree or equivalent work experience in a related field (Ph.D. preferred).
• Strong numerical modeling skills
• Demonstrated use of state-of-the-art land-surface biogeochemical models
• Ability to develop numerical representations of complex inter-related terrestrial ecosystem processes suitable for site, regional, and global scale models;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver oral and written presentation of results;
• Record of publications
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and/or lead others in projects
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, but for best consideration, please apply by 4/2/19.
• Appointment Type:
- Career Track Appointment - This is a full time, 3 year,, career-track term appointment that may be renewed to a maximum of five years and that may be converted to career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
• Work Schedule:
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Background Check:
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=156622 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html). Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".