Principal, Science & Analytics-Coastal Engineer/Scientist
As a leader in property data and intelligence, CoreLogic is looking for someone that can create and effectively communicate unique property-level insights associated with current and future impacts of sea level variability. To this end, a major task will be collecting and consolidating the latest scientific research into thought leadership to help business and government leaders think strategically about risk exposure related to rising sea levels and extreme sea level events. The candidate therefore must be comfortable leading discussions and public forums with business unit leaders and executives internally and industry and government leaders externally.
The role requires strong technical skills to integrate understanding of physical processes driving coastal flooding from a variety of parent hazards with modeling of the resulting water level and wave action behavior. As such, responsibilities include performing a variety of professional-level model development and consulting tasks, including development and/or validation of hazard and/or fragility/vulnerability model components, and technical documentation. Incumbent works on complex parts of the models, performs comprehensive tests using advanced experimental design, analyzes results using statistical data analysis, and effectively resolves complex technical problems.
This role is highly collaborative, working with technical teams across a spectrum of natural hazards in addition to communicating with and representing science at highest levels of management. Acts independently as the technical lead and/or project lead responsible for a range of model development projects. Assigned to several projects concurrently, and on each project assignment may report for technical direction to a different supervisor or manage the project directly.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced degree (PhD is preferred) in physical oceanography, coastal engineering, atmospheric or geophysical science, or similar discipline with minimum 2 years of relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of science behind sea level variability with experience in assessing the impact of climate change on flood risk in coastal areas using future climate scenarios projected by global climate models.
- Strong communication skills: able to communicate with a variety of technical disciplines; exchange technical information with peers, management and clients; and translate technical information for non-technical audiences.
- Ability to effectively communicate in public forums on topics related to climate change and coastal flooding.
- Experience in modeling the following areas is essential:
- Storm surge modeling using SLOSH or similar numerical models.
- 2D/3D flood modeling using MIKE21 or similar numerical models.
- Modeling Tsunami
- Ability to integrate understanding of physical processes driving coastal flooding from a variety of parent hazards with modeling of the resulting water level and wave action behavior
- Strong knowledge of probability, statistics, stochastic simulation and mathematical modeling, including the use of statistical packages such as R, Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica.
- Innovative problem-solving skills and the ability to develop mathematical models to represent various aspects of natural hazard risk.
- Ability in computer programming: proficiency in C++ and SQL is desirable.
- CoreLogic offers an empowered work environment that encourages creativity, initiative and professional growth and provides a competitive salary and benefits package. CoreLogic is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to attracting and retaining the best-qualified people available, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or status as a veteran of the Armed Forces, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. CoreLogic maintains a Drug-Free Workplace. We are fully committed to employing a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive work environment that embraces everyone’s unique contributions, experiences and values. Please apply on our website for consideration.