JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow 2020
JAMSTEC is recruiting personnel for four or five JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow positions.
Aim of the Position
JAMSTEC wants to help talented young researchers who have completed promising Ph.D. theses to develop their scientific excellence. For this purpose, JAMSTEC has established "JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow". Research grants will be provided to successful applicants to facilitate the smooth start-up of their research at JAMSTEC (¥1,000,000 for the first fiscal year and ¥500,000 for each of the second and third years). The successful applicant will also have access to the necessary facilities and equipment at JAMSTEC during the contract period.
Successful applicants are expected to conduct scientific work independently on research topics of their own choice or to become involved in research already being conducted at JAMSTEC. The successful applicant will also have access to the necessary facilities and equipment at JAMSTEC during the contract period.
A mentor will be assigned to each JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow and will facilitate his/her research activities and evaluate their research progress each year.
[Relevant Research Fields]
Any natural science or engineering field.
Applicants are required to have been awarded or expect to have obtained a Ph.D. in a related field by the date of employment. In addition, no more than 5 years may have passed between the last day of the fiscal year in which the applicants obtained a Ph.D. and the date of employment (i.e., applicants who earned a Ph.D. after April 2014 are eligible.)
* Persons of any nationality and either gender are encouraged to apply.
Any of the following JAMSTEC research sites:
Yokohama Institute of Earth Science,
Kochi Core Research Institute,
Mutsu Research Institute
Working Conditions & Contract Period
(1) Number of positions:
Four or five JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow positions
(2) Type of contract:Fixed-term employee
(3) Working Hours:Discretionary labor system
(4) Contract Period:
The period of employment is from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. One contract period is a maximum of one fiscal year. The contract can be renewed, but the total contract period is a maximum of three fiscal years (until March 31, 2023).
* In accordance with the JAMSTEC bylaws, on reaching the age of 65 years during an employed fiscal year, the contract period will expire at the end of the same fiscal year. This bylaw may change.
* This position is a non-tenure-track, fixed-term employee position.
* There may be a change in affiliation in the case of reorganization of the Agency.
Annual salary (paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments)
* There are no raises, bonuses, or retirement allowances. Terms of Employment (1) Upon appointment, the successful applicant will receive a relocation allowance in accordance with the JAMSTEC bylaws.
(2) An allowance for commuting expenses will be provided.
(3) The employee and JAMSTEC will share the premiums for social insurance, labor insurance, and health insurance in the proportions specified by current statutes.
(4) The JAMSTEC employee cooperative provides various subsidies for mutual aid and welfare services.
(5) No housing lease service is available.
(6) Holidays and vacations are Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end, and New Year’s holidays. Annual vacations with pay, special vacations, leaves of absence to care for a family member, and maternity leave are provided. Application Procedure [Submission]
Submit the application through the following website
When submitting the documents, please follow the instructions given on the website.
*All documents should be submitted in English, except e).
*e) would be acceptable in both English and Japanese.
*b)-e) should be uploaded in PDF formats.
* Please enter the necessary information on our website.
b) Summary of previous research
(A4 or Letter size, 1 page).
c) Research plan at JAMSTEC
(A4 or Letter size, up to 6 pages; you may use diagrams if necessary.)
d) Publication (achievement) list
* Please list publications in refereed (peer-reviewed) journals separately from unrefereed publications.
* Add Digital Object Identifier (DOI) codes and hyperlinks, if possible.
* Provide DOI codes of two representative publications.
* If DOI codes were not provided to publications, please upload copies of publications in PDF formats.
e) Letter of recommendation
* Employee or Visiting Scientist of JAMSTEC will not be accepted as a recommender.
[Interview and appointment]
Applicants will be selected based on the submitted application materials, followed by the results of an interview. Interviews will be conducted in English in November, 2019. The successful applicants are expected to join us on April 1, 2020.
*A travel allowance is available for applicants from abroad, but only under certain circumstances.
*Web-based online interviews by ZOOM are also available.
13:00 pm, August 28, 2019 (Japan Time / JST)
*All the required documents, including the letter of recommendation, should be registered by the closing date.
Human Resources Division, Human Resources Department, JAMSTEC
2-15 Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka city, Kanagawa
TEL: +81-46-867-9598 FAX: +81-46-867-9095
*Please replace [at] with @ when addressing e-mails.
*For inquiries by e-mail, please include "JAMSTEC Young Research Fellow 2020" in the subject line.)
(1) Submitted documents will be managed safely according to strict rules. Personal information received during the recruiting process will be used only for recruitment screening and appointment procedures and not for any other purposes.
(2) The successful applicant should submit a certificate documenting his/her health upon appointment.
(3) Withdrawal of the application must be done in writing.
(4) The above conditions may be changed at the discretion of the agency.
(5) For non-Japanese speakers, daily work will be conducted in English.
The Japanese government encourages the social advancement of women. In accordance with this principle and under the JAMSTEC principle of gender equality, in this call for applicants, JAMSTEC encourages all qualified female researchers to apply. If a male and a female applicant are evaluated equally, we will select the female applicant.