Research Assistant – Soil Carbon
SUMMARY: Woods Hole Research Center seeks a research assistant to join our soil carbon lab working on an exciting project with the primary objective of understanding and predicting the spatial and temporal response of soil carbon to land use change under a changing climate by greatly improving the availability of soil data related to carbon cycling. The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientist and the postdoctoral researcher on various project related tasks.
- Harmonize multiple soil spectral libraries and databases.
- Calibrate/validate predictive models from soil spectral data for numerous soil properties.
- Perform GIS analyses to understand distribution of soil properties.
- Assist in setting up simulation model runs.
- Perform laboratory analyses of soil samples as needed.
- Work in a highly collaborative environment to analyze, synthesize, and present results.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Soil Science, Earth System Science, Geography, or a related discipline.
- Knowledge and interest in soil carbon cycling and global change research.
- Demonstrated data analysis skills.
- Ability to implement complex R code and learn new skills as needed.
- Experience using GIS software.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Scientific writing for peer-reviewed publication.
- Demonstrated application of multivariate and machine learning models.
- Experience with high performance computing on a cluster or in cloud environment.
- Experience using the CENTURY or DayCENT models.
- Experience with various soil laboratory analyses.
- Experience with collection of soil samples from the field.
Application Deadline: August 16, 2019, or until filled.
Desired Start Date: September 3, 2019
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is $40,000 to $50,000, dependent on experience and qualifications. This is a one year appointment with the potential for extension dependent on performance and funding. WHRC offers a very generous benefits package.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email your cover letter addressing the qualifications and experience listed above, along with a resume/curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type “Research Assistant Job# JSRA19” in the subject line.
The Woods Hole Research Center is an independent, nonprofit institute focused on environmental science, policy, and education. WHRC is an equal opportunity employer.