Web Developer/Database Administrator
Web Developer/Database Administrator
The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at Colorado State University (CSU) seeks to hire a Research Associate I or II to work on the CSU Foothills Campus, located 5 miles Northwest of the CSU main campus, and design, develop, and maintain websites and databases critical to the daily operation of NOAA’s Regional and Mesoscale Meteorology Branch (RAMMB) and the Data Processing Center (DPC) that supports NASA’s CloudSat and GeoCARB satellite missions. Specifically, the individual in this position will report to the RAMMB IT Manager and develop and implement optimized code to support and advance data processing and the user visualization and interactive experience for high-profile research and public outreach websites such as to http://www.cloudsat.cira.colostate.edu and https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu. Position title of Research Associate I will apply to the finalist with a Bachelor’s Degree and 1- 2 years of experience working in web development, and position title of Research Associate II will apply to the finalist with a Bachelor’s Degree and 3 or more years of experience working in web development, or a Master’s degree and at least 1 year of experience working in web development. The individual in this position must be able to pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI, Tier 1 federal background investigation) in order to access federal computer systems.
The individual in this position will make decisions based upon knowledge of web and database development techniques and capabilities based on previous experience and through interactions with the existing team managing these resources. They will work both independently and collaboratively with the RAMMB lead web developer and CloudSat DPC manager, along with other IT personnel, CIRA Principal Investigators and their research support staff as need and as directed by the RAMMB IT Manager. Specific decision-making activities are as follows:
- in a team environment and in close coordination with the subject matter experts, product developers and satellite training staff, decide design and content of satellite products for web visualization;
- set meetings with supervisor and above-mentioned colleagues to evaluate new ideas, web content and workflows to decide which feedback to implement, iterate and optimize based on feedback;
- prioritize and outline tasks in a systematic way, and determine specific guidelines and protocols to meet goals and deliverables in a timely manner.
Essential Job Duties:
RAMMB Web Developer (50%)
- become fully acquainted with the architecture and inner-workings of the RAMMB web services for satellite imagery display;
- develop enhancements to existing web services to showcase current and emerging CIRA/RAMMB satellite products, providing suggestions for new ways to visualize and improve the user experience;
- build, maintain and upgrade websites and web applications for internal use as necessary;
- adapt and learn new technology related to web application and database development, to maintain these resources on the cutting edge of technology.
CloudSat DPC Full Stack Developer (50%)
- develop and maintain full stack web applications for satellite data inventory, data distribution, and processing system monitoring and control;
- use drupal (or similar content management system) to develop web, PHP.
Note: Please detail each of these items in your cover letter.
- ability to pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI, Tier 1 federal background investigation) in order to access federal computer systems;
- experience designing, developing and troubleshooting databases in Linux (SQL, MySQL Postgres);
- experience working with distributed source control such as GIT;
- UNIX/Linux skills, experience using terminal and command line utilities;
- excellent communications skills, experience working independently, multitasking, presenting to a group of people, and meeting specific goals and deadlines.
Note: Please highlight any applicable items in your cover letter.
- familiarity with satellite remote sensing, automating satellite imagery processing, McIdas;
- familiarity with the RAMMB/SLIDER webpage and its current operation;
- experience working with MongoDB;
- experience working with modern web frameworks (e.g., ReactJS, AngularJS, etc.);
- experience working with open source GIS such as PostGIS;
- experience working with Python programming packages such cartopy, SatPy, pyresample, pytroll;
- experience working with containerizing applications, docker;
- experience working with nginx and/or apache configuration and optimization;
- experience administrating Linux system, bash scripting.
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so. In addition, the individual in this positon must be able to pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI, Tier 1 federal background investigation) in order to access federal computer systems.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the
Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, to ensure full consideration applications should be submitted by 11:59 PM MT on June 30, 2020. For full position announcement and to apply, please click “Apply to this Job” at the following website: http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/77015. NOTE: In your cover letter, please specifically address the required qualifications of this position. A cover letter that fails to address the qualifications of this position may not be further considered after review by the search committee.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services. The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407. The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Executive Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.