Mass Spectrometry Specialist (Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry) (P3)
Organization: SGAS-Mass Spectrometry Team
Primary Location: Austria-Lower Austria-Seibersdorf-IAEA Laboratories
Job Posting: 2020-08-03, 11:00:32 AM
Closing Date: 2020-08-31, 11:59:00 PM
Duration in Months: 24
Contract Type: Temporary Assistance - Regular
Probation Period: 1 Year
Please note that we only accept applications through our official job portal on the IAEA website.
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for over 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The main objective of the Department is to maintain and further develop an effective and efficient verification system in order to draw independent, impartial and timely safeguards conclusions, thus providing credible assurances to the international community that States are in compliance with their safeguards obligations. Safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically complex environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political and cultural diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions (Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services); and three Offices (the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services).
Within the Office of the Deputy Director General, Head of the Department of Safeguards, the Section for Safeguards Programme Coordination serves as the principal advisory body in support of the entire management of the Department including formulation and execution of departmental management policies and procedures. The Section provides internal coordination and support in the areas of programme and budget, human resources, performance monitoring, effectiveness evaluation, communication, reporting and project support.
The Office of Safeguards Analytical Services (SGAS) is responsible for the analysis of nuclear material and environmental swipe samples, as well as the coordination of logistics and the Network of Analytical Laboratories (NWAL). Located about 45 km south of Vienna in Seibersdorf, the Office is organized into three sections: the Nuclear Material Laboratory, including the On-Site Laboratory (OSL) in Japan, the Environmental Sample Laboratory and the Coordination and Support Section.
The Environmental Sample Laboratory is responsible for the receipt, screening, analysis and distribution of environmental samples submitted by IAEA safeguards inspectors.
Reporting to the Mass Spectrometry Team Leader, the Mass Spectrometry Specialist (TIMS) plays a major role in the measurement and analysis of safeguards inspection samples in the Nuclear Material Laboratory (NML) to support the Department’s verification and monitoring activities. The incumbent performs the analysis of actinides by thermal ionization mass spectrometry (TIMS) and takes responsibility for sample throughput, timeliness, and quality control.
The Mass Spectrometry Specialist (TIMS) is (1) an expert in thermal ionization mass spectrometry analysis of actinides, with a commitment to accuracy and precision; (2) a technical specialist, coordinating and performing inspection sample analysis, maintaining high sample throughput, achieving timeliness goals and promoting the continual improvement of quality within the laboratory; (3) a troubleshooter of complex technical issues (both instrumental and experimental), improving analytical processes, and implementing new procedures for the analysis of safeguards samples, and (4) a team player working closely with the other members of the Mass Spectrometry Team, as well as with the chemists and radiometrists within the NML.
NOTE: The incumbent may perform his/her work in areas exposed to radioactive materials. Therefore, as an Occupationally Exposed Worker, he/she must be medically cleared by VIC Medical Services and is subject to an appropriate radiation and health-monitoring programme, in accordance with the IAEA's Radiation Safety Regulations.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Provides technical expertise to support the TIMS analysis of samples containing U, Pu, Th, and Am.
- Coordinates the workflow of samples (including QC samples) to ensure that analytical results meet pre-established timeliness goals and QC requirements.
- Coordinates preventive and corrective maintenance with the instrument manufacturers, and respond to technical issues and through troubleshooting and communication with colleagues and service engineers.
- Ensures analytical and laboratory processes are compliant with the SGAS Quality Management System (ISO 9001:2015).
- Validates new and improved methods including and measurement procedures and perform associated uncertainty calculations.
- Participates in team efforts to improve the mass spectrometry techniques for the analysis of safeguards-relevant samples, and contribute to the implementation of new techniques developed by Member States.
- Identifies and communicate to management the need for upgrading or replacing analytical equipment, draft technical specifications and perform technical evaluations for new equipment.
- Maintains current knowledge in the field of mass spectrometry pertaining to high-sensitivity and high-accuracy actinide analyses by engaging with colleagues, members of the NWAL, instrument vendors and the scientific community.
The incumbent may perform his/her work in areas involving exposure to radioactive materials. Therefore, as an Occupationally Exposed Worker, he/she must be medically cleared by VIC Medical Service and is subject to an appropriate radiation and health monitoring programme, in accordance with the IAEA's Radiation Safety Regulations.
Competencies and Expertise
For a full list of our competencies, please visit the vacancy notice on our official employment page.
- Achieving Results
- Planning and Organizing
- Partnership building
- Commitment to continuous process improvement
- Technical/scientif credibility
- Cleanroom laboratory
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- University degree in Physical Sciences, Analytical Chemistry or related field.
- Minimum of five years practical experience in high-sensitivity and high-accuracy measurements with Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry (TIMS).
- Practical experience working with radioactive materials is an advantage.
- Experience working in clean laboratory is an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $60962 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 27982*, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; 6 weeks' annual vacation, home leave, pension plan and health insurance
Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are encouraged
Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values): Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity. Staff members may be assigned to any location. The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above. Testing may be part of the recruitment process