Carbon Cycle Scientist (two year postdoctoral fellowship)
5 days left
- Sector Type
We seek a highly motivated post-doctoral scientist to develop biogenic and fossil fuel CO2 flux models and data products for New Zealand, building on existing bottom-up flux products. You will work within our team of carbon cycle scientists using atmospheric observations and modelling to constrain carbon emissions as part of CarbonWatch-NZ programme. The position will be based at GNS Science in Lower Hutt, Wellington New Zealand.
New Zealand’s borders are currently closed to all but New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. International candidates will still be considered, however may be required to work remotely from overseas as a contractor until such time as New Zealand’s borders reopen.
- Draw on existing prototypes developed by the international research community to develop spatially and temporally resolved bottom-up biogenic and/or fossil fuel CO2 flux products for Auckland, New Zealand.
- Work with our GNS Science research team to integrate the bottom-up model work with atmospheric observations and transport modelling for Auckland.
- Collaborate with researchers in other New Zealand and international institutions.
- There are opportunities to be involved in field work collecting atmospheric measurements; atmospheric transport modelling; engagement with government policymakers and indigenous groups; and linkages to urban studies in other cities in New Zealand and worldwide.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A PhD in carbon cycle, atmospheric or related science discipline.
- Experience developing spatially resolved fossil fuel emission data products or biogenic carbon flux models.
- Competence in one or more scientific programming languages.
- The ability to interpret and clearly communicate scientific data and results through written papers and oral presentations.
- Knowledge of atmospheric transport modelling or experience working with atmospheric greenhouse gas data would be advantageous.
About GNS Science
GNS Science, Te Pῡ Ao, undertakes world-leading Earth science research. Our people are passionate, committed, and focused on bringing our vision of a cleaner, safer, more prosperous New Zealand to life.GNS offers a supportive, flexible work environment, professional career development and generous employee benefits.
Want to know more?
Applications close 13 September 2020