Graduate Research Assistant in Hydrogeology
The Department of Geoscience at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is seeking PhD candidates to join the Subsurface Hydrophysics Lab (https://zahasky.geoscience.wisc.edu/) starting Fall 2021. We currently have multiple graduate research positions open on a range of topics. One project that we are specifically recruiting for is focused on studying PFAS (https://www.epa.gov/pfas) contaminant transport and fate in the subsurface. For this project we are seeking candidates with a strong background in organic chemistry.
Successful candidates for this position will be part of an interdisciplinary team that is involved with developing new experimental characterization methodologies, numerical models, and/or analytical descriptions of processes such as colloid and bacteria transport, physics of gas trapping mechanisms in porous media, and solute transport and channelization in fractured media.
- BS in geology, geophysics, engineering, physics, or a related field at the time of hire
- Coursework in hydrogeology, groundwater sciences, and/or engineering
- Excellent independent problem-solving skills and eagerness to learn new topics
- Strong English writing and communication skills
- MS in geology, geophysics, engineering, physics, or a related field at the time of hire
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent self-driven research
- Extensive coursework in math, physics, chemistry, and/or programming
- Demonstrated publication record in peer reviewed journals or conference proceedings
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. As such, domestic and international candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until January 1st, 2021. Interested candidates should check out the UW-Madison Department of Geoscience admissions website and please send a CV, unofficial transcripts, and a brief description of your research interests to Prof. Christopher Zahasky (email@example.com).