Earth Science Informatics Research Professional
The Environmental Sciences Division (ESD) of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an opening for a Research Professional- development focused- in its Earth System Informatics and Data Discovery Section. The successful candidate will help link advanced informatics and computer science to metadata management and distribution in the Earth, climate, and environmental sciences.
You may be involved with workflow automation for scientific metadata management, software development, and data operations activities that support projects in Environmental Data Science at ORNL, such as the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Data Center.
We are seeking a self-starter, willing to develop expertise in data preparation for archiving and distribution, as well as, advanced data tools development and data flow operations. The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Master’s Degree in Data or Information Science or related discipline
- Strong background in scientific data management and data operations as applied to earth and atmospheric science applications
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in informatics or data science or scientific data curation
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in one or more programming languages such as: Python or Java
- Strong software experience in building data analysis, visualizations, or automating data workflows using modern technologies
- Strong experience working with atmospheric data or in situ observations and/or meteorological instrumentation and measurements
- Knowledge and experience in database applications such as PostGreSQL
- Good communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Desire to learn and adopt new tools and technologies as required by the projects