Postdoctoral Researcher - Soil Carbon Climate Mitigation
Postdoctoral Researcher Opportunity
SUMMARY: We seek a postdoctoral researcher to join a multi-institute team working to better understand how soil carbon can be properly accounted for as a climate mitigation tool. You will work in direct collaboration with a postdoctoral researcher at the Environmental Defense Fund to build a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches for accounting for climate mitigation in agriculture with a focus on soil carbon. Ultimately, we will deliver a set of recommendations, with an eye towards US federal policy, for minimum guidelines that should be considered to ensure emission reductions around managing for soil carbon are real and verifiable.
- Summarize existing soil carbon protocols and scientific literature on soil sampling design
- Use various datasets (real and synthetic) to evaluate effectiveness of protocols
- Literature review and synthesis of soil amendments proposed for climate mitigation
- Identify minimum requirements of a MRV process for the different classes of soil amendments
- Identify the necessary elements of a MRV process that could be implemented at a regional scale
- Develop manuscript(s) on the potential for carbon storage in agricultural soils and necessary components of a carbon crediting system
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. (granted or expected soon) in soil science, agronomy, environmental science/studies, or related disciple
- Demonstrated knowledge of climate mitigation in land use sector
- Knowledge of soil carbon and nutrient cycling
- Working knowledge of agroecosystem and soil carbon models
- Knowledge and practical experience with statistical design and error propagation
- Superior oral and written communication and networking skills
- Interest in and demonstrated capacity for translating scientific theory into real-world applications and practice
- Ability to work as a member of a highly collaborative team in a fast-paced environment
Application Deadline: December 31, 2020, or until filled
Desired Start Date: January 11, 2021
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts preferred, remote possible through the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The salary range is $60,000 to $65,000. This is a 1-year appointment with the potential to extend. Woodwell Climate offers a very generous benefits package.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type JSPD20-2 in the subject line.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell Climate) is a private, non-profit research center. Woodwell Climate is a leading source of climate science that drives the urgent action needed to solve climate change. Woodwell Climate has 60+ staff members, and attracts some of today’s top experts on global climate change science.
Woodwell Climate Research Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Woodwell Climate is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.