Data Engineer - Data Curator (Experienced)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art concepts to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security!
We are seeking an R&D Computer Science professional with a background in data engineering. The selected applicant will support existing efforts to create/develop uniform data management standards through engagement with staff on multiple, cross-disciplinary projects and will have responsibility for the development and administration of user/technical-focused documentation.
There will be opportunities to work with many complex data sets which span various phenomenologies and to provide guidance/leadership for identifying, exploiting, and developing data analytic techniques to exploit data across multiple scientific domains. This work may include collaboration efforts with domain specialists to identify data sources of interest, structure data, and develop data algorithms and models for data exploitation. A component of these efforts will be coordinating with project teams to pursue both internal and external competitive funding opportunities.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide technical consultation to researchers within different data domains, including: seismic; infrasound; electromagnetic; radionuclide; optical; and imagery
- Act as liaison among multiple projects facilitating data collection, data usage, data exploitation by researchers
- Provide consultation regarding data standards, standard methodologies to researchers in a variety of data domains
- Develop and maintain data and metadata management processes/standard methodologies facilitating data curation
- Structure complex data to facilitate ease of understanding, use, and exploitation
- Implement developed data governance policies and standards to ensure quality, accuracy, longevity, access, and security of data
- Create and review technical and user-focused documentation for data management
- Recommend and implementing appropriate mechanisms for sharing different categories of UCI and classified data
- Build, develop, and implement solutions for metadata management processes/practices to facilitate data curation
About Our Team
We perform geophysical monitoring research and development in support of Sandia's mission as a national security laboratory. The team's geophysics expertise addresses challenges surrounding ground-based nuclear detonation detection through next-generation algorithms exploiting multi-phenomenological data, advanced sensor technologies, and demonstration experiments.
The team has a wide range of expertise in field seismology, subsurface characterization, seismo-acoustic and infrasound modeling; evaluation of seismic and infrasound sensors and systems; and the processing, analysis, and interpretation of all types of geophysical data. Technical work spans the spectrum from theoretical to applied and includes strong modeling, lab and field data collection, and analysis capabilities. The department serves as Sandia's resource for ground-based monitoring expertise, partnering with departments across the labs to integrate multiple types of data-including optical, seismic, electromagnetic, infrasound, atmospheric, radionuclide-to address broad national security needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Qualifications We Require
- Master’s degree in a STEM field plus 4 years' experience in data processing, data engineering, data management, computer science or equivalent field; OR Bachelor's degree in the above stated field plus 8 years' experience
- 1 year related experience in addition to the above requirement
- Can obtain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with data governance and metadata management
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills vital to effectively collaborate
- Proven ability deliver high-quality and timely results
- Experience helping team members define requirements and technical path forward
- Experience in the Unix environment and with Unix shell scripting
- Demonstrated proficiency with SQL, MySQL, ORACLE, MongoDB, Hadoop, and other data manipulation scripting
- Proficiency with programming languages, such as: C, C++, Python, MATLAB, Java, Perl
- Demonstrated experience working with time-series data formats, with a strong preference for experience working with geophysical, radionuclide, optical, and imagery data formats
- Quantitative and qualitative experience teaming large diverse datasets, with preference for broad experience collecting, processing, organizing, and analyzing datasets
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.