USGS Student Service Contractor- Ecologist GIS
- Types of Services Required: Assistance needed with current project, “Modeling Wetland Ecosystems in the North American Prairie Pothole Region: Evaluating future impacts of climate and land-use change." Services may include one or more of the following activities: Assemble and evaluate climate and wetland ecosystem data; develop code for plotting information on maps, graphs, tables, processing and developing mapping products and performing wetland delineation in GIS programs. Also, assisting in writing and editing manuscripts. Modeling procedures include: independently developing new workflows in Stella, R, QGIS, and Python for running the Pothole Hydrology-Linked Systems Simulator (PHyLiSS) model. Running PHyLiSS for a number of different wetlands and prepare interpretive compilations of wetland hydrology and chemistry data and presenting findings to management partners. More information can be found here https://wim.usgs.gov/geonarrative/mcweo/. This position is for a maximum of 2 years.
- Required Expertise/Skills: Completion of a Master’s degree with course work including study of earth science, ecology, wildlife biology, hydrology, computer science, statistics, climatology, GIS or related disciplines. Skill in using coding languages such as R or Python, GIS programs and simulation modeling in programs like Stella is preferred.
- Description of Working Conditions: This job is an opportunity to gain research experience in ecosystem modeling and federal science. Be a part of a team of enthusiastic field, lab, and modeling scientists working to assist wetland managers in making informed management decisions. Office work may involve prolonged sitting and long hours in front of a computer screen. Work will generally be 8 hours/day and 5 days/week.
- Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with the level of education and experience, as follows: $ 27.56 per hour for contractor who has completed a Master's Degree and completed your degree within the last year or are a current student working towards another degree. The Government does not provide housing, meals or other moving or living expenses while working at the principal duty station. Travel away from the duty station is not expected. Students are paid for each hour worked. Students will be working as independent contractors and do not receive a premium rate for work beyond 8 hours/day or 40 hours/week. Additionally, students are paid only for hours worked (with no holiday or personal leave benefits). Students do earn 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Pay Rates for students include cost of self-employment taxes for social security and Medicare.
- Principle Duty Station: USGS Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Station, 8711 37th St. SE, Jamestown, ND 58401-9736. Potential for telework
- To Apply: Please submit resume/CV, cover letter, contact information, references to Owen McKenna, firstname.lastname@example.org, 701-253-5527. Applications accepted until vacancy is filled.
Apply for USGS Student Service Contractor- Ecologist GIS
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this