Technical Professional - Watershed & Land Surface Model Development (Temporary
Purpose: The Climate Change Science Institute within the Environmental Sciences Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks a technical professional with experience in computational eco-hydrology and/or reactive transport modeling to support the development and maintenance of computationally- and data-intensive codes modeling Earth system and watershed processes.
Major Duties/Responsibilities: Your primary responsibilities will be to develop, document, maintain, and support coupled models of hydrology, ecohydrology, land surface processes, and reactive transport. These responsibilities must be accomplished in a high-performance computing environment and include the support of both internal and external users through bug fixes, test maintenance, documentation, and training. You will join a multi-disciplinary team of investigators including experts modeling and observing watershed function who are developing, evaluating, and performing numerical experiments with models coupling hydrological processes across scales. You will develop task-centric implementations of Earth system processes through an ongoing refactor of the E3SM Land Model, maintain and support this refactoring effort, and help integrate it with other ORNL watershed modeling capabilities.
- A Ph.D. in hydrology, applied mathematics, computer or computational science or a related field is required.
- Prior knowledge and demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas are required: 1) modeling hydrologic function at watershed and/or global scales 2) modeling surface processes including canopy-level photosynthesis, radiative energy balances, latent and sensible heat exchange, and snow models 3) reactive transport modeling 4) coupled Earth system modeling 5) high-performance computing including novel programming models such as task models and models for novel computing architectures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as a key contributor to a multidisciplinary team are required.
- Experience developing models such as Amanzi-ATS, E3SM’s Land Model, and other comparable models is a plus.
- Experience in multiple programming languages including C++ and Fortran and in multiple programming models including MPI, CUDA, OpenMP, Kokkos, Legion, and others is advantageous.
- Experience documenting code and supporting users as a part of a community-driven development model is advantageous.