AmeriFlux - Water Cycle Postdoc
AmeriFlux - Water Cycle Postdoc
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Division in the Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA) has an opening for a Postdoctoral scholar in the AmeriFlux Management Project (AMP). The postdoc will lead and conduct collaborative research on water fluxes using AmeriFlux data, and will play a key role in the theme for network action on water fluxes (the Year of Water Fluxes). Possible directions of research include evapotranspiration synthesis; coupled carbon and water fluxes; validation and/or synthesis of flux and remote sensing observations; model-data integration; and application of machine learning or artificial intelligence. The postdoc will work most closely with Dennis Baldocchi (UC Berkeley) and Margaret Torn.
What You Will Do:
- Co-lead AmeriFlux theme Year for Water Fluxes activities, including planning workshops and interacting with scientists and stakeholders from participating communities.
- Lead and conduct collaborative research related to water fluxes using AmeriFlux data
- Help lay the groundwork for the next theme year on remote sensing
- Participate in AMP and AmeriFlux meetings and workshops
- Submit manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals.
- Participation in LBLs safety culture
- Commitment to LBL’s values of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability
What is Required:
- A Ph.D. (or equivalent) in biogeochemistry, ecohydrology, environmental engineering, biometeorology, Earth sciences or related field is required before starting position
- Demonstrated quantitative and computational skills
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills
- Domain knowledge in a relevant field such as ecology, ecosystem science, ecohydrology, or land-atmosphere interactions.
- Strong interest in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the AmeriFlux community
- Demonstrated ability to publish research in relevant journals
- An ability to work independently and in an integrated team environment
- Demonstrated experience with remote sensing techniques
- Proficient coding skills in at least one of R, Matlab, Python, Fortran
- Numerical skills
- Knowledge of ecophysiology and plant biochemistry
For full consideration, please submit your application by April 15th, 2021, and include CV, contact information for three references, and PDFs of 1-3 of your papers. The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full-time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 2-year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
- Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=195260 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here (https://hr.lbl.gov/).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.