Earth System Dynamic Vegetation Modeler
Earth System Dynamic Vegetation Modeler - 92365
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Sciences Division has an opening for a Career Track Scientist position. As a terrestrial modeler, you will focus on vegetation dynamics, including successional, competitive, and demographic processes, at regional to global scales, with a focus on analyses and model validation in the E3SM Earth System Model using the FATES (Functionally Assembled Terrestrial Ecosystem Simulator) demographic model. The position also calls for expertise in model benchmarking and validation, experience with large observational datasets, process-based methods for land-surface modeling, uncertainty quantification, and data assimilation, and land-atmosphere interactions and feedbacks. We seek interdisciplinary expertise and interest in diverse terrestrial systems. Berkeley Lab is a renowned center of scientific expertise in many facets of climate-related fundamental and applied science. To help achieve a state-of-the-art demographic Earth System Model new benchmarking and calibration methods are needed that have not been thoroughly tested in prevailing ‘big-leaf’ unstructured land models without dynamic vegetation.
This is a full-time, one-year, career-track term appointment that may be renewed to a maximum of five years and that may be converted to a career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
What You Will Do:
• Use state-of-the-art regional- to global-scale coupled dynamic vegetation models.
• Develop numerical representations of complex inter-related terrestrial ecosystem processes suitable for site, regional, and global scale models.
• Global and regional model benchmarking and validation against large observational and empirical datasets.
• Apply state-of-the-art parameter and model structural uncertainty and calibration methods.
• Develop and use coupled atmosphere and land-surface models to characterize biogeophysical feedbacks.
• Work as a member of a large multidisciplinary research team.
• Author technical reports and publish in peer-reviewed journal articles.
• Present results in group project meetings, seminars, and/or conferences.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Assist in or independently prepare proposals; begin to obtain independent funding.
• May lead or manage small independent projects or projects under the PI’s mentorship.
• May participate on committees that serve the Lab and/or scientific community.
• Supervise technical staff including the mentoring of students and/or Postdocs.
What is Required:
• Two to five years of experience, past highest degree (Ph.D.) or equivalent work experience.
• Experience in ecosystem model benchmarking and validation.
• Experience using land-surface biogeochemical models and ecosystem model development.
• Strong coding and mathematical skills.
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
• Record of timely publications.
• Ability to develop representations of complex inter-related terrestrial ecosystem processes suitable for global-scale models.
• Ability to analyze the coupled atmosphere and land-surface models to characterize feedbacks.
• Ability to work creatively, independently, and productively.
• Participation in preparation of proposals.
To be fully considered please provide the following materials in your application:
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Statement of research experience and interests related.
For full consideration, please apply by May 7, 2021.
• This is a full-time, one-year, career-track term appointment that may be renewed to a maximum of five years and that may be converted to a career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=197693 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.