Instructor in Geosciences
1 day left
- Sector Type
The Department of Geosciences at Virginia Tech seeks an enthusiastic Instructor to join a dynamic and growing geoscience team. This individual will support the department's teaching mission through delivery of primarily introductory courses. As a member of the faculty, this individual will collaborate with other faculty to design, develop, and teach in both online and in-person formats, as needed, and will mentor undergraduate and graduate teaching assistants. This individual will also contribute to the department through service activities related to curriculum design, science communication, and student recruitment.
The successful candidate will have:
- An M.S. or Ph.D. in Geoscience or a closely related discipline, by date of hire.
- Experience teaching college-level geoscience courses.
- Effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to team goals effectively and positively.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience teaching college-level geoscience courses as the primary instructor.
- Documented effectiveness teaching in a curriculum designed to serve the needs of a large, diverse group of university students.
- Potential to teach upper division undergraduate courses.
- Potential to contribute to curriculum development.
- Familiarity with teaching-related technology, particularly technology useful for online/distance/hybrid learning.
- Experience teaching courses online in formats using an LMS such as Canvas or similar.
- Potential to convey enthusiasm for science and geoscience to a diverse set of undergraduate students.
- Interest in teaching summer-term courses.
The Department of Geosciences places great value on fostering an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment, as enacted through a dynamic diversity strategic plan. We strongly encourage candidates from groups minoritized and/or underrepresented in Geosciences to apply.
Application review will start on May 10, 2021
Start date: Aug. 8, 2021
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Details about the Department of Geosciences can be found at: https://geos.vt.edu
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
For more information and to apply for the position, please visit: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/515686/instructor