Research Geophysicist Postdoctoral Appointee for Seismic Signal Analysis
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a results-oriented Geosciences Engineering Postdoctoral Appointee to join our dynamic team and support existing research efforts combining traditional geophysics with novel data science techniques to improve monitoring capabilities for underground nuclear explosions. The selected applicant will be responsible for developing and applying signal processing algorithms to unique seismic datasets. Opportunities are available to explore the full seismic processing pipeline, including signal detection, signal association, event location, and event identification.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Interpret the results and communicate findings through presentations and publications
- Collaborate with computer scientists to develop signal processing or detection algorithms
- Modify an existing code base to test a new hypothesis and write data analysis codes to interpret and illustrate results
- Develop methods to handle large data sets
- Participate in journal article discussion groups and seminar series and draft publications, reports and presentations
- Run codes on both CPU and GPU clusters
- Perform work according to Sandia values, which include serving national needs, delivering with excellence, respect for others, teaming, and scientific integrity
Qualifications We Require
- PhD degree (obtained within the last 5 years) in geophysics, computer science, electrical engineering, seismology, or closely related field, with an emphasis on signal processing and data analysis
- Can obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Research experience in the one or more of the following technical fields: general geophysical signal processing; machine learning; waveform correlation; inversion methods; algorithm tuning & optimization; uncertainty quantification
- Possess strong dedication to teaming dynamics with the ability to work as a team member, as well as independently
- Proven experience with at least one common computer programming language (Java, C++, Python, MATLAB)
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet scheduled work completion dates
- Proficiency with varied communication methods, including oral presentation, preparation of high-impact visual presentations, publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts, and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate scientific and technical information at a level tailored to the audience
About Our Team
We perform geophysical monitoring research and development in support of Sandia's mission as a national security laboratory. The team's geophysics expertise addresses challenges surrounding ground-based nuclear detonation detection through next-generation algorithms exploiting multi-phenomenological data, advanced sensor technologies, and demonstration experiments. We have a wide range of expertise in field seismology, subsurface characterization, seismo-acoustic and infrasound modeling; evaluation of seismic and infrasound sensors and systems; and the processing, analysis, and interpretation of all types of geophysical data. Technical work spans the spectrum from theoretical to applied and includes significant modeling, lab and field data collection, and analysis capabilities. The department serves as Sandia's resource for ground-based monitoring expertise, partnering with departments across the labs to integrate multiple types of data-including optical, seismic, electromagnetic, infrasound, atmospheric, radionuclide-to address broad national security needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.