Software Engineer I/II/III - Remote Work Options Available
UNAVCO, Inc. is seeking to fill four Software Engineer positions at the Engineer I to Engineer III level. These new positions will primarily focus on enabling the Data Services team to transition to a fully cloud native architecture.
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation (NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research, education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive. This facility supports a broad range of applications from the study of plate tectonics and earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and fiducial networks.
UNAVCO is currently transitioning to a new cloud-native architecture, with design components that include Docker, Apache Kafka, TimeScaleDB, and Elasticsearch that will be deployed in a hybrid of commercial cloud and academic cloud and HPC environments. We also operate legacy applications in a VMWare private cloud environment.
UNAVCO Software Engineers are responsible for design, development, implementation, testing and documentation for components of software systems that support: data collection, data flow, archiving, database interaction, web-based data/metadata search and access, interoperability, quality control, formatting, pre-processing and visualization.
Applicable Skills / Core Competencies
- Knowledge of software engineering, including development, staging, and production environments for deployment
- Knowledge of languages (e.g. SQL, Python, C++, Java)
- Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines. Self-motivated and works well both independently and as part of a team.
We welcome applications from early career software engineers who would like to pursue a career in the fields of cloud computing and big data analysis.
To review the full job announcement and to apply, visit UNAVCO's career website (https://www.unavco.org/careers/).
Salary will be based on candidate’s qualifications within the established UNAVCO salary ranges:
- Engineer I $ 59,464 - $ 89,196; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and one year software development experience.
- Engineer II $70,752 - $106,128; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and four years software engineering experience.
- Engineer III $78,288 - $117,432; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and six years software development experience.
UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the United States.
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part of the employment selection process should contact HR@unavco.org or 303-381-7515.
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. UNAVCO complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).