Research Assistant-Geospatial Analyst-Carbon
Research Assistant-Geospatial Analyst-Carbon
SUMMARY: Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) is a leading independent climate research institute, with a mission to advance science-based climate policies through scientific research and outreach. The keys to Woodwell’s success are the quality of its research and the ability to deliver science to decision makers.
Woodwell seeks to a hire a geospatial analyst to join our Carbon group. This is an opportunity for early career scientists. Your role will be in support of ongoing efforts to understand status and trends in forest carbon storage at scales ranging from local to global. This role will work closely with the lead scientist, fellow analysts, and a range of collaborators on applications spanning carbon cycle science, natural climate solutions, planetary health, Indigenous Peoples rights, biodiversity conversation, bioenergy, and carbon markets. This position requires familiarity with geospatial data, “big data” analytics, and advanced programming skills—with an emphasis on Linux and cloud-based computing on Google Cloud Platform and Google Earth Engine. We are searching for an intellectually curious, detail-oriented person who possesses a high level of quantitative literacy.
- Process and analyze large, multi-temporal satellite image and derivative raster data sets.
- Understand large databases of field-measured and remote sensing derived variables.
- Perform complex geoprocessing utilizing cloud computing resources (e.g., Google Cloud Platform).
- Conduct accuracy/uncertainty/sensitivity analyses.
- Generate maps and other graphics for proposals, presentations, and publications.
- Contribute to peer-reviewed journal article and grant proposal preparation.
- Work independently and collaboratively in a collaborative environment to analyze, synthesize, and present results.
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. (minimum) degree in a relevant scientific discipline (geography, ecology, forestry, environmental science, natural resource management), with demonstrated strong data analytical skills.
- Experience managing large data volumes for analysis and visualization in a Linux environment and/or Google Earth Engine and/or other cloud-based platforms.
- Ability to develop robust geospatial programming code (e.g., R, Python, GDAL, GEE) for raster/vector data manipulation and analysis.
- Ability to assess and implement appropriate computational needs, create and manage scientific workflows, and ask questions/learn new skills as required.
- Knowledge and interest in global climate change and climate justice research.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2021 or until filled.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Fixed-term: This is a one-year fixed-term position. The position is funded beyond one year with the possibility of renewal contingent upon satisfactory job performance.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt, fixed-term position, with a competitive salary range. Woodwell offers a generous benefits package.
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type WWRA-21 in the subject line.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, Woodwell Climate Research Center is a private, non-profit research center. Woodwell is a leading source of climate science that drives the urgent action needed to solve climate change. Woodwell has 60+ staff members, and attracts some of today’s top experts on global climate change science.
Woodwell Climate Research Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Woodwell is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Woodwell
WE NEED ALL VOICES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
Climate change is the greatest challenge of our lifetimes. Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) understands that the climate crisis—from causes to consequences—is inextricably linked with persistent social injustice. Effectively addressing either requires addressing both. The climate crisis demands that we bring to bear all of the knowledge, expertise, innovation, and creativity that we can collectively muster, and those who have been marginalized and disproportionately impacted must be heard.
The work Woodwell does—the questions we ask, the ways we seek answers, and the strategies we put forward—is stronger when shaped by a diversity of knowledge, perspectives, and experiences. We strive to welcome, respect, and amplify differing voices. We value individuals as they are, with all their differences in race, age, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, language, and mental and physical abilities.
Woodwell acknowledges that our organization, and the scientific community more broadly, have a long way to go in living up to these ideals. We approach the work of improving our organization with the same ambition and commitment to systemic change that we bring to addressing climate change.
We will inevitably make mistakes, but we will continue to listen, learn, and do this critical work. We understand that this work requires an ongoing commitment from each and every one of us. We are actively engaged in building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive culture within our organization, and in fostering greater diversity in climate science.
Apply for Research Assistant-Geospatial Analyst-Carbon
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly