Cloud Administrator/Software Engineer
UNAVCO is seeking a Cloud Administrator/Software Engineer.
Tracking Code: 214-532
Application Process: For full position announcement and to apply, visit UNAVCO's career website at https://www.unavco.org/careers/. Application review begins June 28, 2021 and will continue until position is filled.
Location: UNAVCO supports a robust remote work environment, while the job is located in the Boulder, Colorado office, alternate living locations will be considered.
The salary range for this position is $88,565- $137,275 USD annually, dependent on candidate’s skills and experience
Benefits: UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
Where You Will Work:
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the NSF investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research, education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive which provides cyber infrastructure to support the full data life cycle and interoperability with national and international Earth science Data Centers.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of cutting-edge technologies in support of geodesy while providing robust operational support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the Earth's response to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS, LiDAR, TLS, optical imagery, InSAR, and more.
What You Will Do:
The Cloud Administration/Software Engineer will participate, evaluate and lead investigations into software technologies for possible use within the cloud development and deployment environments. Keeps abreast of recent development techniques with changes in vendor cloud products, and investigates alternative environments to improve costs and deployment efficiencies. Supports manual and automated processes for testing UNAVCO’s cloud environment. The incumbent will make sure all software developed for performing repetitive system administration functions has been checked into a source code repository. Performs code reading with other system administrators to assure clarity, correctness and UNAVCO’s security procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide support for Cloud Infrastructure systems such as enterprise application maintenance (e.g. Kubernetes etc.), server maintenance, storage, networking, database administration, network security, messaging, directory services, legacy server virtualization, monitoring, etc. which could include any of the following:
- Regularly reviewing existing systems and making recommendations for improvements.
- Participate in active monitoring of IT security throughout the organization and making recommendations for improvements to systems, participates in support coverage during off-hours.
- Actively monitors systems and networks to ensure data security and integrity.
- Ensures necessary levels of documentation, in accordance with UNAVCO IT standards.
- Stays abreast of trends in pertinent computing-related areas to support planning and systems optimization.
- Participate in building the technology roadmap for the organization including architecture, design, and implementation planning.
What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, preferably in a scientific/technical organization, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of containers and development experience in Linux-like operating systems is required.
UNAVCO is unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the United States.
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and complies with all Federal and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part of the employment selection process should contact HR@unavco.org or 303-381-7515.
As part of our commitment to a safe work environment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary and are based on position requirements.