Remote Sensing Specialist-524011
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
Works with International Hurricane Research Center (IHRC) Coastal Research Laboratory scientists on a variety of projects in image processing, numerical modeling, data analysis, and algorithm development. Develops procedures to extract bathymetric data from satellite imagery, establishing a semi-automated procedure to generate digital terrain model (DTMs) from TanDEM-X (TDX) data, and performing numerical model simulations in both Windows and Linux environments. Develops procedures with numerical schemes, proposal/report writing, and carrying through phases of scientific software development. Works across multiple departments to support scientific solutions utilizing GIS concepts, principles, satellite images, development tools, and analytical techniques.
- Collaborates with researchers on an international coastal inundation mapping effort. Assists to develop long-range development plans for the International Hurricane Research Center (IHRC) Coastal Research Laboratory.
- Performs numerical model simulations in Windows and Linux.
- Processes data from satellite imagery, high quality light detection and ranging (LiDAR), and TanDEM-X.
- Performs GIS using Arcpy and analyzes data for reporting.
- Performs the development of documentation for supported systems/applications and plans and conducts training for same on an as-needed basis.
- Assists other researchers on publications of research findings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Develops procedures to extract bathymetric data from satellite imagery, establishing a semi-automated procedure to generate digital terrain model (DTMs) from TanDEM-X (TDX) data.
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate specialization and four (4) years of experience or Master's degree and two (2) years of experience.
- Master's degree in Marine Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Earth and Environmental Science, or related fields.
- Experience should include the development of fundamental physical models, numerical methods, and data analysis algorithms in fluid dynamics and/or continuum and rarefied simulation models, and integration of chemical and physical models within large-scale simulations.
- Experience in development of spectral image or Lidar processing methods.
- Experience programming Fortran, C/C++, MATLAB, and/or Python.
- Experience with multi-processing and multi-threaded programming, shell scripting, Linux command line tools.
- Experience in performing hydrographic surveys, analyzing bathymetric data, remote sensing analysis using GIS, computer programming, or related fields.
- Ability to collaborate in a dynamic work environment.
- Flexibility and technical expertise in the handling of a wide range of data formats, software packages, and in troubleshooting of issues.
- Demonstrated record of written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- $65,000 - $75,000
- Begin time: 8:30AM
- End time: 5:00PM
- Criminal Background Check
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.