Data Systems Engineer III
3 days left
- Sector Type
The Environmental Sciences Division (ESD) of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an opening for a Data Systems Engineer in its Earth Sciences Informatics portfolio. You will help develop modular and scalable software tools and infrastructure for data processing and data center operations in the Earth, climate, and environmental sciences, such as the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Data Center.
ARM Data Center processes, archives and distributes atmospheric observations from observatories across the globe and provides computational infrastructure and analysis tools for the scientific community. In this position, you will work independently and as part of a team to research, develop and operate back-end data analysis workflows and processes at scale in a HPC environment. You will have the opportunity to design and develop new creative solutions for increasing large volumes of historical and streaming data analysis on hybrid HPC and cloud computing platforms. This would require formulating necessary solutions using various parallel computing paradigms and tools, HPC schedulers (such as Slurm), Containers and Kubernates, Python, Bash and other scripting/programming languages in the Linux environment. You should be able to configure, deploy and update containers in a Docker/Kubernates environment using GitLab CI/CD pipelines. You should be able to develop documentation for systems/applications deployed. You should be able/willing to learn new technologies/techniques to meet programmatic requirements.
We are seeking a self-starter with the following skillsets:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Two years of progressive systems engineering experience in a Linux environment is required.
- Experience in working in a Dev/Ops environment is required.
- Experience with building, deploying, and updating docker containers in a CI/CD environment is a must.
- Experience with managing a Kubernetes container environment is a must.
- Knowledge and experience in software languages such as Python and scripting languages are a must.
- Knowledge of any of the following is a plus: experience working in a High Performance Computing environment, databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, NoSQL), virtualization and container infrastructure (VMware).
- Good communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Desire to learn and adopt new tools and technologies as required by the projects.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.