Senior Analytical Chemist – Biodegradation Focus*
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“A long-lasting career at 3M comes from having vision, imagination and the ability to see what doesn’t exist. 3Mers are groundbreaking innovators and it’s important that we give every person the space for disruptive and creative thinking.” – John Banovetz, executive vice president, chief technology officer and environmental responsibility at 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Senior Analytical Chemist – Biodegradation Focus, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Supporting 3M’s chemical stewardship efforts involving determination of physical-chemical properties and studying environmental fate and transport.
- Performing Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectroscopy (LC-MS/MS) analysis of chemicals in environmental media (i.e. soils, sludge, sediment) for evaluating biotic and abiotic /transformation.
- Using statistical data analysis methods to evaluate analytical test data
- Preparing detailed writing test protocols, performing degradation tests, conducting analytical test methods, data evaluation/interpretation, and writing laboratory test reports in compliance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)/Organization for Economic Co-operation (OECD) Good Laboratory Practices (GLP’s) and in accordance to the laboratory’s accreditation with International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17025 standards
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Three (3) years of experience performing Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) analysis in a private, public, government or military environment
- Combined experience with environmental microbiology and biotransformation of chemicals in the environment
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology or a related discipline from an accredited institution
- Experience in applying advanced chromatography techniques including Liquid Chromatography Quadrupole Time of Flight (LC-qTOF)
- Experience with environmental chemical fate testing procedures and approaches
- Project management skills with the ability to coordinate multiple tasks/projects and manage priorities accordingly
- Laboratory experience with International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17025 accreditation
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.